38. Back to the Start

Skye let out a frustrated scream, her body tensed and her voice sore. She wanted to strangle the bird flying next to her. Sinless kept flying to Bigfoot island, the island that was once her home, now a retreat.

She was just fed-up. How many times, how many times, how many times what, she asked herself.

How many times does she have to run away? How many times would she go back? How many times would they accept her? How many times would she mess up?

"How many times," Skye repeated dumbly. "Sin, how many times."

The dragon landed by the cave and stood there, watching her friend waddle into the cave somberly. Sin didn't budge, but instead chose to sit outside and watch the birds.

She knew when Skye needed to be alone—

"ODIN, DAMN IT!"

Loud crashing was heard after a string of curses. Skye was throwing around anything she could get her hands on. She kicked a drawer that rattled, a grunt leaving her lips. "Stupid! Stupid!"

Skye then paused and her eyes grew wide. "Hiccup said he loves me," she whispered. A smile grew on her lips and then she jumped up once. Her smile faded slowly as he realized the predicament it put her in. The woman then growled. "He said he loves me! Now? He says that when we argue?!" She kicked the drawer again, and Sinless could only flick her ears at the sound.

After a little more time of kicking and cursing, Skye settled for slumping on the floor against the wall, her body drained of energy, and the cloud of sadness above her head threatened to rain over her. She buried her head into her hands and softly cried. She couldn't understand how, in such a short span of time, her life managed to take her into a stormy sea of mayhem.

"I'm sorry I hurt you," Skye muttered, sniffing and wiping her tears. "It's the only thing I'm good at."

With every tear she wiped away, her resolve to change strengthened. She didn't know what overcame her, and she pushed away her argument with Hiccup for a rested cause. She would end Shruiken once and for all, and with the whistle, it could finally happen.

"Sin!" She called out. The dragon let out a whine. "Let's go over Hun's papers. We have a lot of preparing to do."

***

The gang peeked into Hiccup's dorm, where the man was curled in bed, head buried in his arms. A jug of mead was empty, thrown carelessly across his room.

"What's this— the fourth or fifth time she's gone?" Tuffnut whispered.

Ruff snorted. "I wouldn't be surprised if she came back. They can't live without each other."

Astrid nudged them harshly. "You're being insensitive."

"They're telling the truth," Hiccup drawled lazily.

The group froze in their places. Hiccup rolled over and blinked at them. His eyes were bloodshot and it was clear that he had been crying. They knew, because they could hear his sobs a mile away.

"She's gone too many times," he mumbled. His voice was so soft, because he couldn't bring himself to say it louder; saying it louder would only make him angrier. "And she'll be back."

"I like your positivity!" Tuffnut exclaimed.

"But I won't welcome her back again."

Tuffnut let out a sound of disagreement. But even Snotlout could see how serious Hiccup was being. The man looked like he had given up.

"Don't say that," Fishlegs said.

"Then what am I supposed to say?" Hiccup fired back. "Am I supposed to tell her how much I love her, when it's quite clear that she swats it away just to have power? To kill?"

The Dragon Master and The Lightning Rider *Hiccup Fanfic*जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें