Sex, Secrets, and Lies ((Part 2))

~Jace's POV~

My room was jam-packed.

Ever since James kidnapped Cheyenne from the hell-hound lair, her dogs had been living with me in my small, one and a half bedroom apartment; but I didn't mind, because these dogs were the closest I could be to her.

Jane and Dave were staying at her house, feeding the horses and waiting to see if the mutants came back, nobody had seen them since the explosion that we know they weren't in. Paige was worried that they would start attacking humans again and terrorizing neighborhoods, but I believed they would run themselves until they died, looking for her; just like I wished I could be doing.

I heard some footsteps outside my door and then a knock. Faster than someone could even blink I was up and out of bed and at the door. When I opened it there was no one there that I had been hoping for, instead it was the owner of the building.

"Jace, er-hey." He said, shifting uncomfortably on his feet.

I studied him carefully and then raised an eyebrow at him.

"What?"

"Well its come to the attention of your neighbors and I that you have quite a few dogs living in your apartment."

"Yea...so?" I asked, getting annoyed; was it just me or was the sun really bright today?

It was shining through the ceiling windows and making me squint.

"It's just...when you moved in you didn't have any animals and then you got that pitbull, and I didn't say anything; but this is just getting a little out of hand. How many dogs do you have?"

I stepped into the hallway and looked him right in the eyes.

"Get this straight, Eugene, I don't rent or lease this place from you, I brought it. And if I remember correctly, I paid it all up front, cash. So we shouldn't be having any problems here."

I tried to put some compulsion behind what I said but it wasn't working. I hadn't been myself lately; the sun was starting to irritate my eyes and I was burning easily. I couldn't compulse a simple, ignorant man, and I was having to feed more often. I had to switch from animal blood to donor blood because I couldn't seem to satisfy myself.

I knew this was because Cheyenne was gone.

Even if I was not feeding off of her, just being near her and strengthened our bond and therefore made me stronger. But it had been six months since I had seen her, six months since I had held her, and if it wasn't for the togetherness of my heart; I would truly believe she was dead.

But she wasn't, and that's what was really getting at me. How could she be alive and not trying to get in contact with me? Just a signal or sign? Maybe if our bond didn't work over long distances, a phone call? An email? Anything to let me know she was really alright.

The constant worrying couldn't be good for me either.

I looked at the Eugene for a long time and then turned and went back into my room, closing the door on his face and protests.

I didn't want to be here anymore. I wouldn't be somewhere that the dogs and I couldn't be ourselves; but that wasn't the real reason I was leaving and I knew it. I just wanted to be closer to her.

I packed up as much of my stuff as I could fit in a bag and then whistled at the dogs to follow me. We shoved through the hallways and then down the stairs (we didn't all fit in the elevator) and then into my jeep. I would have to come back for my car later, the jeep was just a much easier way to get around with such a large load.