The Secret Moon ((Part 14))

~James' POV~

It had taken months and months of slow work but I had finally gotten her; and the she-hound too which was just a win-win for me. By fathering a female child the respect my pack held for me had began dwindling, that and the fact that I had been so obsessed with breaking the tough-one and catching the poor excuse of a vampire's love interest, that I hadn't been impregnating other girls.

My father was never going to let me be full leader of the pack, I could feel it, and that was why I was so picky. I wanted to be able to father children from only the strongest girls that way they would grow up to be strong as well; I had a system in place, and as soon as my next two children were born, nobody would ever think about double-crossing me.

But bad things keep happening to me. First I have a she-hound, a disgrace to the pack and the hell-hound name, I can't conduct a good catch to get the other she-hound and when I finally do have her in my reach, she escapes, and I can't get the auburn one...what was her name again? Maggie, or Maci? Who even cares? But for some reason she wouldn't conceive my child.

I knew she was taunting me about it by the way her eyes laughed at me, but I also knew that she was breaking because that strong life-force she had when I had first taken her for my own, the force that had so much attracted me to her and the other, it was almost totally gone. Honestly, I was starting to loose interest in her and was thinking of disposing of her body soon, maybe giving it to the hounds in the cellar, the ones who had let Jessica steal the baby they were suppose to kill.

She wasn't even good enough for a proper hunt if she couldn't bear a child....

"James, father calls for you from his chamber." One of my younger brother's Joseph said.

I shook myself out of the fog I was in and nodded at him.

"Tell him I'll be there in a minute."

Joseph looked around me at the dark haired beauty chained to the wall.

"Why are the chains through her wrists?" He asked, his eyes unable to leave her, even when asking me a question.

"Because she is very strong. Remember how the one with the auburn hair broke loose that one time? Well this one is much stronger than even her."

"Mia is hot as hell, when are you going to let me have a go at her?" He teased, nudging my shoulder with his fist.

Ah, Mia. That was her name. I smiled to myself, I liked Mia much more than Maggie or Maci.

"If she's not pregnant you're going to have to fight the ones in the dungeon for her, which I'm sure wont be a problem for you."

I stood up and started to leave the room. I turned last minute to face my brother again.

"Hey Joseph."

He turned his head, just slightly, to look at me.

"Yes?"

"You better not touch her." I growled a bit to show my six years authority to his fourteen years.

"Yes sir." He said. "But I can look at her, right?"

I smiled at him and closed the door, father was waiting.

Father's chamber was on the upper floor of our lair. No one was permitted to go up there unless he summoned them, much like he had just done me. He knew I hated being summoned, it made me seem less leaderly, being on beckon-call for him.

I opened the hatch on the floor and climbed through, locking it again beneath me. The upper floor was very modern; it was a one bedroom apartment twenty miles away from Riverside California. The place was meant to seem like it was being rented by my father but really it had been in our family for many generations, renting this "home" was just a cover for our pack because underneath this cozy little place was our lair, our den, whatever you want to call it. It extends maybe four or five miles and has many different rooms and coves for privacy.