The Secret Life ((Part 13))

I tried not to think about the fact that my best friend was a vampire and it was ultimately my fault.

Cara was riding in the trunk of, my vampire partner's car, because she had now inherited a sun allergy.

My best friend was a vampire.

My life sucked.

Jace pulled into the parking garage of an expensive looking apartment complex. I raised an eyebrow at Jace and he shrugged.

"I've got to keep up appearances. I'm even enrolled in a physiology course online."

That was what he did with his free time.

"And where do you get the money to afford something in here? Mug people?"

Jace turned his car off and shook his head. "Its okay to come out now Cara, we're in the dark."

I watched Cara push through the middle counsel and then stretch out like a cat.

She looked around.

"Where are we?"

"My house." Jace said. "You're going to be staying here with me for a while."

I tried to not notice the flash of...excitement? in Cara's eyes.

"And no, I don't mug people Cheyenne, you're ridiculous. I'm a very old vampire and was smart enough to keep my investments, even after I turned. I have a pretty deep bank account, well, a few of them."

I rolled my eyes.

That was just great, a rich vampire.

"Do you rent or own?" I asked curiously as we climbed the dimly lit stairwell.

"What do you think?" He asked.

"Own it is then."

He nodded.

We went up three stories and then down the hall to apartment 310. Jace stuck in his key and unlocked the door.

"Welcome to my home." He said. "Don't mind the clutter."

When we got inside I had to stop for a minute and take everything in.

Jace had newspaper clippings and pictures tied to strings that zigzagged all around his living room. Some of the pictures had a black X through them and some of them had a collection of pictures and clippings around them.

I looked over at him briefly and stepped into the middle of his chaotic spider-web.

I found a picture of me, which startled me.

I was, maybe two, in the picture.

Next to it was a clipping 'local girl saves baby from burning car' and another one that said 'hero survives mugging' which really wasn't a mugging, it had been a vampire.

It took me a minute to realize it, but my picture was at the center of the web, along with a few other pictures of kids I didn't know.

"Jace, what is this?"

He sighed and held up a finger. "Cara, why don't you go take a shower, sweet-heart. You have dried blood on your face and shirt."

I tried not looking at her, I didn't want to register that.

Cara nodded and headed off in the direction that he had pointed. I noticed that all of his windows had dark blinds on them.

"I thought the sun doesn't bother you." I teased.

"It doesn't," He said. "But it's a real bugger when it shines in your eyes. I still prefer the dark, but I'm sure you understand that being some what of a night creature yourself."