Chapter 24:

Tasha: I flew over to Steve, nearly breaking the sound barrier as I did so. I landed next to him and retracted my helmet. "Steve," I whispered.

"Tasha," Steve whispered back. I held my hand over the bullet wound, attempting to slow the bleeding, if even just the tiny bit. "My beautiful Miss. Stark."

"Somebody, I need help," I screamed. I turned back to him.

"You can't go yet Rodgers," I whispered, "We stil need you on the ground."

"I think I've got to sit this one out Miss. Stark," he said.

"I've created an Electra Net to contain the bleeding, shock frequencies turned off," AVIS told me.

"Are you okay?" Steve asked me.

"I'm fine," I whispered, "We just need to focus on you now."

Steve reached out and touched my cheek, "I'm so sorry."

"Its okay," I whispered, holding back tears.

"No," Steve whispered, coughing a little, "I should have," he took a shaky breath, "Should have been," another breath, "there for you."

"I forgive you Steve," I whispered, "I'm sorry we fought. I love you. Present tense."

It was then that the paramedics got to us, scooping Steve up on a gernie and taking him from me. "I love..." Steve pointed to me, but didn't finish his sentance before his eyes closed and they took him away.

"Where are you bringing him?" I asked the paramedics.

"A New York SHIELD facility," the man said, "The shot he took, there's nothing we can do for him."

I froze. Nothing? He was going to die? "He's..." I trailed off.

"I'm sorry," the paramedic said.

I closed my eyes. No. This couldn't be the end. He was Steve. It couldn't just end this way. "There's nothing?" I asked.

"I'm sorry," the paramedic said, "We've also been requested not to make any attempts."

I shook my head, "That's wrong. He's a hero and your just going to let him die? Even if you could save him."

"We have orders Natasha. I'm really sorry," the man said.

"If your so sorry do something!" I shouted, pushing the man. He stumbled back a little, and attempted a sympathetic look. Tears threatened to escape from my eyes. I put my mask down and flew upward. This was unfair. I let the tears stream down my face. My fiance was dead. And I was on the side that killed him. And my dad pulled the trigger. All of it was wrong. But Steve was gone. And there was nothing I could do. Except wish I didn't scream his name right then. Then maybe he'd be alive.