Chapter 7:

Tasha: Steve got home late that night. I heard him slam the door and start taking off his shoes. I came into the entry way, as he started pulling at his tie. "Hey," I said, kissing him before he could say anything.

"Hey," Steve said, smiling, "That was quick."

"You seemed like you needed it," I said, smiling back.

"You got that right, " Steve laughed, nodding, "So many people are acting as we lit Nitro on a fuse."

"That bad huh?" I asked, biting my lip.

"Almost worse," Steve said heavily. I nodded, not sure.

"How's my dad with it all?" I asked.

"He had the tenacity to pull out his phone and check stats during the service, "Steve said. I rolled my eyes. That sounded like him.

"So what you're trying to get at is not well, " I said. Steve nodded. He kissed me.

"Listen, darling, I know we haven't had a lot of time together today, but I am beat," Steve said. It was times like when he called me "Darling" that I remembered he was really from the '40s. I nodded, kissing him one last time. I sat down on the couch as he made his way to the bedroom. That's when I saw my dad. He waved at a crowd of flashing cameras.

"Tony Stark made an appearance here at Washington today, after being at the funeral for the victims in Samford. He gave us his word on the Registration Act. He says he is in full support, and upon the passing of the Act would help in the registration of fellow SuperHumans," the reporter said.

"What?" I asked, just as Steve came into the room, in pajama pants already, staring at the screen in awe.

"He's for that crap?" Steve asked angrilly.

"He's for it," was all I said.

"I can't believe that!" Steve said, "It's the government telling us how to do our jobs. And how much we make doing it!"

"He must see something in it," I said.

"Like what?" Steve asked, his voice harsh and stony.

"Like something to do with keeping people safe," I said.

"It's just trying to keep people happy," Steve said.

"If I have something that is beyond what the rest of the world has," Tony said, "Then I want to share it. If my world needs me, I want to help."

I recognized those words instantly. And I knee it only meant bad things. A war was forming, and Steve stood on one side, and Tony on the other.