Chapter 36: Argument

The last gem left to be found was Michael's, and his was already looking to be the most difficult. He sensed it's presence near the outskirts of Arkade; if we weren't careful we'd be setting foot onto foreign land, and if we were discovered on their side of the border, the repercussions would ruin everything that we've worked for thus far. Furthermore, Michael was refusing to tell us any details about what he might have experienced in the past. I've asked him politely a number times, even settling for the location of where we were headed, but he was adamant about retaining his secrecy. I knew better than to push him so I didn't, but I wished he'd felt more comfortable telling us.

Of the entire Five, Michael was the only one I didn't know anything about. Thinking about it now, it was ironic that we'd spent the most time with each other and yet I knew the least about him. In fact, he seemed to know more about me than I did of him. I knew it wasn't really my business, but it still made me feel alienated. I suppose whatever it was must have scarred him so much that he had buried it deep within his heart, and he wanted to keep it that way for as long as possible.

We set up camp for the night. We were close to what was known as the Sandpiper Sea, which bordered my kingdom and Arkade, but it would pointless to look for the gem at night. We all gathered around the fire. Although it was quite warm out, we needed to have some light. Henry and Aru got into comparing their gems, while Owyne seemed to be engaging in a deep one-sided conversation with Ivan. Their behavior wasn't unusual, but it certainly wasn't the same as before. The emotional trials that they had gone through to obtain each of their gems had changed them, and even though they may be solemn now, it was definitely for the better. Meanwhile, Michael was sitting outside of the group on a log, staring out at the sea. I climbed up and sat next to him. He looked at me once before resuming his gazing.

"It is beautiful, isn't it?" I asked and Michael shrugged.

"I'm relieved that we won't have to travel across it."

"What makes you say that?" Hoping that he would unknowingly give me clues about him, I questioned him. However, he went silent and didn't answer me. I breathed a small sigh, "Well I guess I see your point. Traveling by boat during this season could be dangerous, and procuring a boat at all would be difficult."

At the time I didn't see it, but Michael had made the most minute flinch as I was speaking. Whatever was on his mind, he was determined to take to his grave.

A gentle breeze blew at us and I have to admit, it felt good to not be in the humid air. "I've never been here, but I'd heard stories from workers at the castle. They said that the Sandpiper Sea was among the most beautiful landscapes in the country." When I glanced at Michael a second time, his face showed his disinterest.

"It's just a body of water and nothing more," he grumbled, "I've always failed to understand this infatuation that people have with oceans and seas. If anything, the waves are too loud, the depth is unnecessarily deep, not to mention the water itself is salty. Without a tedious process of purification, it serves no benefit to the human body. And-"

I'm taken back, I've never heard Michael this irritated, and it was at something that seemed so trivial. I'm not even sure what I said to him that angered him this much, "Michael!" I stopped him in the middle of his rant, a little ticked off myself, "What has gotten into you?!"

"It's your own fault for thinking that I wanted company. I didn't want to talk to anyone or be with anyone, but you just can't take any hints whatsoever!" He said a little louder this time. The bitterness of his tone wasn't what I was used to. Even at the very beginning of our journey, he would act annoyed with me, but he was never blatantly angry. Now he was acting immensely irritated and wanted to chase me off; I didn't like it, nor did I appreciate being talked to like this.