Chapter 32: Anna

ollowing Ivan's prediction, we started heading that path, not wasting any time whatsoever. But it felt weird heading towards his gem. Unlike Henry and Owyne, I don't know Ivan's background story; he never spoke much about it. Curiosity got the better of me, and I approached him while everyone else walked behind.

"Princess?" Ivan speaks, "Can I help you?"

I smiled, "Can I not just walk with you and enjoy your company?"

He smirks, "If I didn't know you better, perhaps I'd believe that, but you always want something, so what is it?"

I sighed, "I want to know your history."

"Princess-"

I put a hand to stop him, "I know you're probably going to say that it's none of my business and that I don't need to know everything, but I do! I want to know more about you and I'm curious!"

He chuckles, "What I was going to say was I would love to tell you."

Well I feel embarrassed, "Oh, carry on then."

"I promise you, like the rest of us, this one is tragic as well."

"Well whose story isn't right now?"

He nods, "That is true; regardless it began many years ago in the town that, if mine is lie Henry's and Owyne, we are heading to now, but in order to understand everything, you have to understand the beginning...

Unlike many boys my age, I was very sickly. Any illness that occurred, I'd immediately suffer from it. Joining the army to fight was clearly out of the question so I tried my best to be helpful; I became a blacksmith. I created the most beautiful weapons that were sturdy and reliable. My weapons were loved by everyone in the town, except for one man, and he hated it for a reason not dealing with my skills.

His daughter was definitely the most beautiful girl I'd ever laid eyes on, but I was a blacksmith and knew better than to think that she'd ever be mine. Although, that didn't stop me from thinking about her brownish-red curly hair that she usually kept half up-down, wearing the most beautiful gowns, usually in a pale pink that complimented her complexion. Her father was a wealthy lord who owned much of the farmland in the town, and he had high hopes his daughter would marry rich. So imagine his surprise and disgust when she fell for a blacksmith.

For me, the thought of us together was unimaginable. She was of higher status and wouldn't ever look at a guy like me who could barely survive a simple cough. One night though, her family was hosting a feast for the soldiers, and her father had sent her and her brother to my blacksmith shop to get the weapons specifically made as gifts for the generals. The minute she entered my shop, it felt brighter than it usually was. I never believed in love at first sight until our eyes met, I will never forget how beautiful those blue-green eyes of hers looked.

"My father sent us to get the swords for the generals," her brother, a very impatient and rude man, ordered. He was the oldest and would inherit everything. He was very protective of his sister, but not because she was his sister.Like his father, he saw her as an opportunity to get more. She was seen as just a way to increase wealth, not as a person.

"They're right over there," I tell him, nodding towards the corner. Her brother was a thorough man and immediately went to inspect them. His sister, Anna, inspected a couple daggers that caught her eyes.

I smiled and pointed to a bright silver one with a couple jewels embedded into the handle, "That one is befitting of a girl like you."

She smiled shyly, "What would a girl like me need a dagger for?"

I shruged, "I don't know what kind of trouble a girl like you gets into, but I can promise you, it's always better to protect yourself than to rely on everyone to protect you."