Chapter 7: The Farmboy's Story

It's been awhile since rain has embraced the kingdom. Michael says this is a good thing because it means we're close to Henry the Hawk, as his element is water. Since it was raining, we found an empty cave and made camp there for a little bit. It was pouring like crazy, so we decided to relax a bit before continuing. Michael had a small fire going and Aru had already made a small nest for himself near the fire. I leaned against the cave wall, pulling the cloak close to me since it was a bit chilly.

We had a small dinner, none of us were really hungry since we had a giant feast at Fairsborough. No one really spoke. It was kind of awkward sitting in silence and only listening to the pattering of rain on the cave entrance. Michael took the spot closest to the entrance in case of an "attack", but it was more so that I wouldn't get wet.

"Can I ask you guys something?" I ask, breaking the silence.

Michael and Aru nod, "Sure.".

"How did you guys become the Magnificent Five?".

Michael sighs, "Haven't you heard the stories?".

"I've heard the legends. I've heard rumors, and stories, but what I want to know is the truth," I inform him, "It's raining anyways. We can't go out looking for any of the other three, and we're stuck in a cave together. We might as well try to talk to each other.".

Michael looks at Aru, who shrugs, "I mean, Michael, it's not much of a secret. She is the Princess, I think we should tell her.".

"You can, then," Michael snaps at Aru, "I don't feel like it.".

I guess this is a sore subject for him but Aru smiles, jumping across the fire, falling down right next to me, "Okay so let's set the tone, it was a dark, gloomy night, all hope seemed gone...".

I raise my eyebrows and shoot him a look, "Seriously?".

Aru chuckles, putting his hand on the back of his head, "Okay maybe it wasn't exactly like that...but all hope was gone...".

Growing up as a lowly farmer boy was uninteresting. Every morning was the same: wake up and help with the livestock before heading off with father to work the fields. We'd work from sunrise until sundown in the fields, finally making it home with just enough time to eat dinner before heading to bed. I got the basic education most farm boys got, which was the very minimum. I barely knew how to write, but my father said I didn't need to know that anyways.

Regardless, one day my father and I went into the big, bustling kingdom. It was no surprise that most of the bourgeois lived here with their extravagant carriages and huge houses. They wore expensive clothing with the most precious jewels that could last my family for a long time. I felt as though I was a black sheep in the middle of a herd of white sheep. I stood out, no doubt about it, with my battered clothes that were smaller every day, but they had to do until Mother could find enough fabric to make me new clothes. My trousers were all ripped and patched up from constant wear and wash, and my shoes were a size bigger so I could wear them for a long time.

I definitely stood out in this place where everyone had brand new, clean, colorful clothing with lots of feathers and buttons on them. The boys my age were definitely happier; they didn't have a thing to worry about. The only thing that could ever go wrong for them is that they don't get what their hearts desire. For me the worst thing that could happen was we run out of food. I guess rich boys never have to worry about not having enough to eat.

Father was selling the produce and livestock as a means to make money but to no avail. No one really cared much for something a farmer made; they had no need for livestock, none of them had farms but a couple bought some things, perhaps in a way to make themselves feel better for supporting a poor family.