Chapter 6: A Lighthearted Festival

We left the town behind; what was once a bustling town full of happiness and love, was now a desolate wasteland that had nothing. The laughter of children ceased, the chit chat of adults was gone, and the peaceful aspect of the town was destroyed. It was just a burned wasteland with blood running down the streets where children once played. I never felt more sadness than right now; all these innocent lives all gone.

It's been two days since that massacre and we have no idea where to start. It's obvious that Victors men had been following us, and we led them straight to the town. We've kept mostly to the woods, trying to keep out of towns as much as possible, but because of this we haven't been able to hear any extravagant stories of unusual things happening. Our hunt seems as though it's approaching a lost cause.

"Where to now?" Michael asks, Aru simply falls down from a tree branch, landing perfectly on his feet. He tends to stay in the trees and look ahead, he's not the scout of the Five but he's experienced in it.

"Wherever Victor's men are," Aru growls in anger.

"We've been lucky with getting his weaker men, but we can't risk an attack by them now, we aren't powerful enough to take them on if more elites show up," I inform them both, "It'd be best if we go into town, try to talk to anyone and see if they know of any unusual things happening.".

"And what if Victor's men follow us?" Michael asks.

"Let them," Aru speaks through gritted teeth, "I have an arrow with their name written on it.".

"Okay well right now we should focus on finding the rest of the Five. If we happen to run into Victor's men then we can take them down, but we should focus on the mission," I say.

Both of them nod.

"The rest of the five huh?" Aru crossed his hands behind his head, "That leaves Owyne, Henry, and Ivan," he laughs, "it'll be nice to see them, although they might not feel the same way.".

"Why did you guys split up?" I ask the one question that's been bugging me since the beginning, "If you don't mind me asking?".

Neither of them speak, they just begin walking in silence. I guess it's kind of a rough topic for them, so I don't push it anymore but the question is really bugging me. I stay in silence too, and we make our way into the nearest town, called Fairsborough. The town lives up to its name, because all the best fairs and festivals are held here, and it seems like we're walking right into the middle of one.

By the time we got to Fairsborough, it was evening. There was still daylight, but the sky was slowly beginning to darken. There were stalls set up with lights lining the streets. They were having an annual celebration of the beginning of harvest. The town was intricately decorated, with different colored leaves hung around, trees with different colored leaves were laced with lights, and there was a giant basket of produce at the center of all the festivities.

For a moment, it reminded me of home. Whenever it was my birthday or my father's, the kingdom would be decorated in extravagant measures to celebrate. I guess you don't really understand how much you miss something until you don't have it.

I kept my hood pulled over my head, the bounty was still large and every bounty hunter in the kingdom was looking for me. I stayed close by to Aru and Michael, who shielded me well. They weren't as recognisable as I was, so they were more calm.

"Welcome to the Harvest Festival!" a perky girl with bright red hair in pigtails and a huge toothy grin hopped in front of us, "Please eat as much as you want just relax!".

Michael smiles at her and Aru returns the grin. I keep my head down so she doesn't see my face. When we pass the girl, Aru throws a crown made of flowers on my head, "There, now you actually look like a princess!".