Chapter 4: Aru

We looked over the documents from the cottage. Thanks to the research, we were able to follow the signs of Aru the Quick. According to one of the papers, my father's friend had gathered news from a town not too far from Haughton called Spirela. There was a recent change in the winds blowing over the town. The townsfolk mentioned that they were used to having fairly hot weather during this season, but the past month it has been unnaturally cold. The unusual winds were a definite trace of Aru the Quick.

Michael and I were less than a day's travel away from Spirela. Most of the time we were walking in silence; Michael seemed to be occupied with making sure the area around us was safe. But one can only go so long not saying a word.

"Um, Michael..." I speak.

"Yes?" He answered without turning around.

"About Aru..." I searched for a question that would get him talking, "Has it really been five years since you last saw him?".

He thought for a moment before saying, "If it's Aru, then I did see him about a year after we initially split up. We talked for a bit, but...I don't think either of us had intentions of teaming up together again. He never stays in one place for long though, so that was officially the last time.". He stares at the forest ahead of us, "Hopefully he will still be there when we arrive.".

Indeed, if we miss Aru here then it would take longer to track him down, especially if he does move around a lot like Michael said.

* * *

Something unnatural was definitely happening in the town of Spirela. The closer we were getting to the city, the wind blowing against us grew stronger. Michael appeared to be braving against the winds well. He must be used to the powers of Aru. I, on the other hand, pulled my cloak tightly around myself. The wind threw my hair into my face, and I'd constantly work to pull back my hair so I could see.

Michael glanced back at me. "We are almost there, Princess. Just a little more ways to go.". I nod, and then notice him shift his body in front of me a bit. Is he trying to block the wind from hitting me?

And then, finally, we come to the edge of the forest. Ahead of us, down a small hill, was Spirela. I'd expected a more desolate sight, what with the cold winds and all. But in the distance I could see the townsfolk working, and the children laughing and playing. They looked to be rather content.

After taking in the sight, I stepped forward, "Let's go down, Michael. We'll start searching-".

All of a sudden, Michael grabs my arm and pushes me behind him, and in one swift movement he pulls out his sword and deflects an incoming arrow. Where did that come from? I didn't notice at all. Michael glares up into the trees.

"It can't be Victor's men..." None of Victor's men could have shot an arrow from that angle.

"No," he mutters, "It's an even bigger annoyance.".

"I've missed you too, Michael," a low voice laughs, "And who is this with you? She's looks too pretty to be your woman.".

"Be quiet and come down. You must be interested enough to shoot one of your precious arrows. She has been looking for you.".

"Hmm, a call from a beautiful lady? Tempting..." It didn't seem like he had any intention of coming down.

Michael grumbled, sounding irritated. He stepped closer to the tree and places a foot against the trunk.

"Eh? Michael, what are you doing-" before the man could finish his sentence, Michael leapt up into the tree and cut down the branches. The man landed amongst the fallen debris with a resounding thud, "Ow...you didn't have to do that.".