the hottest topic

The Next Morning
November 15, 1987
Belle's POV

"Pass the milk." Michael raises his husky voice over the sizzling of the pan. I quickly pass him the bottle of milk before laying out two glossy red plates.
"Are you gonna flip it? It looks ready." I frown at the golden pancake frying away.
"Okay." He says to himself under his breath while taking the pan in both of his hands. He flips it up in the air and it tosses around until it lands flat on the lit hob.
"Michael!" I exclaim while frantically turning off the fiery hob. The pancake is laying miserabley, covered in black burn marks. I notice Michael bursting with laughter behind me as I begin to mimic his smiles.
"I think we need to make more." I shake my head with a chuckle as I pour more mix into a pan.
"That...was s-so...funny." Michael stutters between laughs as he grabs onto my waist.
"True. But I want breakfast." I laugh while he fiddles with my ponytail.
The phone ring dimes loudly around the kitchen as Michael quickly strides the phone.
"Hello?" Michael says while leaning on the wall with one leg up.

Michael's POV

"Hello, is this Jackson?" I hear a slightly nervous female voice down the phone.
"Yes?" I respond.
"Okay, I'm Alex from the reception. I think we're having a slight...problem." She groans.
"Um...what sort of problem?" Belle looks over at me with a frown as I shrug.
"I think... somehow someone's leaked that you're staying here. It's causing a massive...mob." She continues as I hear the faint roar of a crowd down the phone.
"Shit. I'm so sorry. Are they outside?" I stressfully rub my eyes with my spare hand.
"Yeah, they're behind the doors. Security are trying to control them but, you know what it's like I'm sure." She says.
"Mhm...what should we do?" I sigh.
"It's up to you, sir. But you're going to have to stay somewhere else, I'm so sorry." She says with great sadness.
"No, of course. I understand. Well sort it, thank you." I hang up and look at Belle. Confusion visibly flows through her as she scorns at me.
"It's the fans. They know we're here and they're swarming the hotel. We have to leave." I put my hands to my face.
"Really?... Okay, I'll start packing. And don't worry, it's not you're fault, baby." She scrunched my hair as she strolls out the kitchen.

40 Minutes Later

Belle and I are stood at the bottom of the grand staircase with some of our luggage, luckily just out of view of the outside windows. The roaring crowd has grown massively and people were waving huge signs and posters with my face on them.
"What are we meant to do?" Belle holds my arm with her hands.
"I don't know, maybe there's a back way?" My eyes stay fixed on the window. All my fans have good intentions, but it sometimes isn't safe for me or them. I don't want anyone to get hurt.
"Michael! Belle! I'm so sorry this has happened, guys." A woman who seems to be the manager strides toward us.
"It's alright, it's no ones fault." I sigh casually. "But what do we do?"
"There's a back way, come with me." She scurries off behind the staircase as I wink at Belle because of my correct prediction. She giggles as we traipse behind the manager, Ben and Simon holding some more of our suitcases behind us.

We stop at a large black door, and stand in a small huddle. "Okay, this leads to a taxi we have waiting for you." The manager begins.
"A...taxi?" I raise my eyebrows. I'm not used to public transport, but I guess this an emergency. It can't be that bad.
"A taxi, yes. Sorry, we can't open the doors to retrieve you're limo as everyone would sneak in through doors. You'll have to come back for it when the mob is gone." She nods, professionally.

We make our way into the yellow taxi, Belle, Ben, Simon and I, running and covering our faces. Luckily, there was no one really back here as it was such a tight, little space.
The taxi is weird, it feels bare. It doesn't have a champagne cooler, TV screen or light strips. This is what people drive around in?
"Where to?" The driver asks. His Australian voice sounds familiar. Then again, it could be anyone Australian around here.
Then it hits me.
He turns around and flashes his usual artificial grin.
"Oh." I sigh.
"Belle! How you doin'?" He winks at Belle as she smiles and responds. Why he only speaks to her, I have no idea.
"Anyway, congrats on the engagement guys." He starts the engine.
"Tha... wait, how do you know?" Belle stops herself.
"He was in the restaurant, remember babe." I place my hand on her thigh as she nods.
"I think everyone knows, man." He swerves onto the road. The uncontrollable crowd catches my eye as I see them frantically screaming.
"What do you mean?" Belle and I say in unison, slightly panicked. I haven't even told my family yet.
"You're kidding? It's all over the news! It's the hottest topic!" He chuckles obnoxiously.
"Wait, you're engaged?" Ben gasps.
"Congrats, guys!" Simon squeals.
"How do they know?" I whisper, continuing to panic while Belle thanks them.
I look up at the mirror in the taxi, as the driver gives me a playful wink.
It was him. He caused this riot, which I didn't even know was anything to do with our engagement.
He did this.