what is the god damn question?

The Eureka 89 Tower
Melbourne, Australia
9:35pm

Michael's POV

Her face instantly lights up, a mixture of pure joy and guilt for forgetting. I don't mind she forgot, I'm just glad one of us remembers.
"Really?" She squeals with happiness. I nod with a huge smile, her joy is contagious. She instantaneously pulls me in for a tight hug, as I wrap my arms around her back.
Tonight is the night. Tonight is the know I do it. I'm going to take the leap I've been wanting to do for a while.
"I'm so sorry I forgot!" She creased her eyebrows.
"It's okay, Bel. I don't mind." I slightly shake my head.
"Happy 6 months, I love you." She breathes before pressing her lips onto mine. I place my hands behind her head, my fingers lacing in with her silky hair.
Everyone in the world disappears when we kiss.
"What can I...oh. Is this a bad time?" The waiter from before exclaims, awkwardly. Belle and I just look at him, then back at each other, and burst out laughing. He just stands there smiling, not knowing what to do or whether to laugh.
"Yes, we're ready." I sigh, still giggling through my words. "I'll have the steak, please."
"And for the lady?" He says.
"I'll have the lobster, please." Belle looks up, she was chuckling but managed to hold it in to make her order.
The waiter takes our menus and scurries off again, leaving us back in our own world.
"So there's something I've been wanting to ask you." I sigh, staring into Belle's glistening eyes as I gulp nervously.
"What is it, M..." She stops as her eyes look past me with shock. I quickly turn around to see what she is looking at.
Our Australian driver walks in with swagger, his hand loosely in his trousers pocket. He is decked out in a deep blue suit, implying he's here for a meal too.
"What's he doing here?" I whisper to Belle.
"I don't know." She frowns, her eyes still fixed on him.
"Whatever." I shrug. It bothers me. I don't know why, but it does. He seems so...perfect. Call it insecurity, call it jealousy. He just makes me feel inferior, like Belle sees him the way I do.
"I love his suit." She waves past me, I presume at him. A huge smile appears on her beautiful face, making me upset. But I hide it. I don't want to seem like the 'jealous' type.
"You're steak, sir." A different waiter placed my meal on to the table in front of us. It was an enticing square white plate, covered in hand-cut sweet potato fries and a steak.
"Wow, that looks amazing!" Belle grins at my plate. The fact that the same smile she gave to the driver can also be produced by a slab of meat, reassured me a bit. I'm just paranoid.
"Thank you." I nod to the waiter as I gaze at the plate.
"Why don't you start?" Belle asks.
"I'll wait for you." I reply.
"No, no. Eat!" She shakes her head with a smile.
"I'm waiting, Bel." I chuckle, my hand on her shoulder.

"Hey guys! Didn't know you'd be here!"
I look up to see, him. He was in the entrance of our private booth, blocking out the view.
"Neither, who are you here with?" Belle smiles up at his tanned face.
"I'm here with my mom." He chuckles. Ha.
"Oh, well we won't keep you." I say with a straight face.
"It's alright, mate. What are you guys up to?" He unfortunately continues.
"Just our for a meal, really." Belle says. Actually it is our 6 month anniversary dinner, but I'll let it slide. I guess it is more important to me that it is Belle.
"Nice, nice! Congrats guys. I'm gonna get back to ma, enjoy." He nods, glancing back at a table.
"You too, nice seeing you!" Belle speaks.
"Bye." I say quietly, he most likely didn't hear.

Belle is soon brought her meal too, as we tuck in. The food was beautiful and tasted divine. So it should for the price.
"Oh! Mike, what was it you wanted to ask me?" Belle wipes her mouth with the crimson coloured serviette on the table.
"I forgot." I say after a couple of seconds of thought. I didn't forget, but I just felt a little shaky now.
I have to have to right moment.
"Sure?" She takes a sip of her red wine.
"Yeah, it'll probably come back to me." I shrug nonchalantly.
"Okay." She smiles, "You look so beautiful right now." She swoons, the warm lighting catching her eyeshadows glitter.
"Thank you, baby. I feel weird with my hair down." I crease my brows.
"I love it. You look sexy." She plays with my loose curls.
"Hmm..." I sigh in disbelief as she gently giggles.
The cogs in my mind turn rapidly as I decide whether to take the leap or stay in the shallow end a little longer. As the meal comes closer and closer to a close, my heart begins to beat faster and faster.
I decide to take the leap.
"Babe?" I say softly, a slight shake of nerves in the word.
"Mhmm?" She hums in response. She just finished her chocolate dessert, and is now fully focused on me.
"I remember my question from earlier." I reply.
"Oh yeah?" She adds.
"Yeah." I nod.
After a few seconds of silence, she chuckles, "Well, what is it?"
"Oh!" I laugh nervously. I am sure of my decision, it's just so nerve-racking.
"Let me just go to the toilet, be back in a second." I slide out of the booth, leaving Belle with a confused and entertained expression.
I step into a small yet fancy toilet cubicle and shut the door behind me. Leaning on the back of the door, I reach my hand into my trouser pocket.
I pull out the little indigo velvet box and pop it open gently.
There it is.
The beautiful, shining ring. It is thin and silver, with a large square, clear diamond in the centre. It has a slight pale aqua tint, which I thought made it slightly unique. I softly stroke the diamond with my index finger, the box feels luxurious and soft. I quickly slam the little box shut.
I am not wimping out. I'm doing this. I unlock the door and stroll back out to our booth with confidence.
"You okay?" Belle says, slightly concerned. It must of seemed a bit weird when I dashed off like that, but I had to, and now I know what I want.
"Yes, I'm great." I grin at my beautiful girlfriend.
"You seem weird." She giggles nervously, probably sensing the atmosphere change.
"I have a question." I say with certainty this time.
"I know! What is the goddamn question?" She exclaims with a loud laugh of confusion.
Multiple seconds of silence go by where I have Belle frowning at me as I reach into my pocket.
I pull out the little box, as Belle's eyes pierce onto it. After a second of thought, she quickly whips her head back up to me.
"M...M...Michael, is that what I-I think it is?" She stutters with a small smile, her eyes slightly welling up.
I crouch down onto one knee, barely fitting beside the table as I push it aside a bit.
Belle's hands cover her mouth as her eyes widen, teas forming in her dark eyes. "Michael!" Comes from her muffled voice.
"Belle Smith, my beautiful, beautiful girlfriend..." I begin as tears roll down her cheeks. My eyes begin to well up as I power through.
"Will you do my the honour of becoming my wife?" I say confidently, my eyes locked with hers.