41

4 weeks Later

"Coach you gotta talk to them, I'm sick and tired of being the only one trying to win." I told coach Lynn.

"Look Lee, You're not telling me anything I Don't know. I admire you for still getting out there doing your best even though your teammates don't seem to care. And to be honest, you deserve better than this team." She said as she put on her jacket, preparing to leave. "Have a nice day Ms. Lee." She said with a warm smile as she walked away from me.

I sighed and got my stuff preparing to leave too. When I got outside, a lady called after me.

"Excuse me, You're Adrian Lee right?" The lady asked. She looked like Regina King. But shit she looked like a cop in that damn suit. Oh shit. Please don't tell me them bitches pressed charges on me foreal

"Yeah..." I said

"Pleased to meet you, I'm Lisa Daniels." And known as coach Daniels. She said as she held her hand out. I shook her hand.

"Nice to meet you too." I said

"Ms Lee, I haven't seen a girl ball like you in a long time, especially only a freshman in college. You're about 19 right?"

I shook my head. "No ma'am I'm 18. I graduated earlier because I skipped a grade in school."

"A Hooper and intelligent." She smiled. "Coach Lynn was right, you are something different, something special."

I smiled. What she'd just said made me feel good. She wasn't telling me about what I need to stop doing, she was giving me praise.

"Thank you, Coach Daniels."

"Let me get to the point though Ms. Lee. I'm the Womens basketball coach at University of California. And I'd love for you to come play for us next year. I promise it's a better opportunity." She said.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I couldn't even speak I was so excited. A coach from California wants me to play for them? I'm that sick with the game?

"Thank you so much, I'd lo--" I stopped dead in the middle of my sentence. California...

"Thank you Ms. Daniels, but I cant." I said

"Ms. Lee I understand you have a family here and whatever else is going through your mind that's holding you back. This a big opportunity for you and I'd like you to think carefully about this. And you've got plenty of time to think. Afterall, it is next year but we'd still have to get you transferred. And we also train the players in the summer." She said then she went into her pocket of her suit. "Here's my number. I hope to hear from you soon Ms. Lee." She said handing me a card.

"Thanks I Appreciate it." I said.

"No problem." She smiled then walked away.

Now I got something else to think about. Shit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey Adrian." My mama greeted as I walked in the door.

"Hey Ma, How's Shawnie Feeling?" I asked

She woke up this morning puking. She still been acting all dull every since she came from chicago. I called Anthony, he just said he ain't know what was her problem. August even tried to see what was wrong with her, she wouldn't talk to him either. She been distant from him lately cause she saw him all on me a few weeks ago. I guess she's a little jealous and feels like I'm stealing her bestfriend away from her.

"She's asleep. I'm worried about her Adrian. She ain't ever acted like that. Atleast not this damn long. Something is wrong with her." Mama said in a concerned tone.