XXXII

When we arrive home, I'm so excited to see Vic that I nearly run up and hug him. I quickly decide against that idea.

He's holding beach things and a picnic blanket. I'm so distracted by the things in his hands that it takes me while to see the big purple bruise on his cheek. My heart sinks.

"Where are you going, kiddo?" Papa asks him.

"Thought I'd take Kellin to the beach." Vic shrugs.

"Oh that's a good idea!" Mama exclaims. "Kell, why don't you go get changed out of your suit?"

I nod and walk past Vic. I go up to my room and tiredly get into some more comfortable clothes, not really caring how I look.

I go back downstairs to find Vic waiting at the door. There's no longer anything in his hands. He must have already put it in the car. He smiles kindly at me then opens the door. I walk past him and get into his car. He joins me and drives off.

"You okay, baby?" Vic asks. "You're very quiet."

"Sorry. I'm just still trying to, um..." I trail off forgetting the word.

"Process everything?"

"Yeah, that's it." I smile. "I like how you finish my sentences."

"I know you. I know what you're thinking." he beams.

"The connection we have is comforting." I sigh.

"It's comforting for me too. It's nice to have someone that understands me." he mumbles.

I smile at his words and just admire him for the rest of the drive.

We soon arrive at the beach and Vic leads me to his little spot. He pulls a blanket out of the basket then lays it down on the grass. He sits down and takes my hand pulling me down next to him. I grin and lean against him.

"What's in the basket?" I ask him, curiously.

"Snacks. I thought we could have a picnic." he chirps. "I'm sorry if I hyped it up too much and you were expecting something exciting."

"No, this is nice. I've had a big day and a picnic sounds relaxing. Thank you, Viccy." I grin.

"It's my pleasure, Darling." he beams.

He opens the basket and starts pulling out all different kinds of snacks making me excited. There's potato chips, cookies, cheese and crackers, watermelon, iced doughnuts and cupcakes.

"Aww Vic, this is too much." I grin.

"You deserve the world." he chuckles. "I baked the cupcakes myself."

I giggle excitingly and take a cupcake, biting into it.

"Vic, this is so yummy." I tell him through a mouthful of cupcake.

He smiles and kisses me, sucking softly on my bottom lip.

"Mm, you had frosting on your lip." he simpers.

I giggle and put my cupcake down, then I climb onto his lap. I gently place my hand over the bruise on his cheek and kiss him softly.

"I love you." I whisper.

"I love you too." he whispers back.

I drop my hand and kiss the bruise on his cheek softly.

"Does it hurt?" I murmur.

He smile sadly and kisses my forehead.

"That's not for you to worry about." he sighs.

I frown but nod. Vic pushes some of my hair out of the way and kisses the back of my neck.