III

I sob quietly as I rock back and forth on the bed. The nightmare felt so real. It really felt like I was back there, back with them. I feel so alone right now which just reminds me more of being there. There's a shuffle from across the room and I jump in fright.

"Kellin? What's wrong? Why are you crying?" Vic croaks, sounding half asleep.

"I-I had a nightmare." I choke out feeling like I can't breathe.

He switches the lamp on and sits up.

"Are you okay?" He asks.

I shake my head whilst trying to stop myself sobbing. He pulls back the covers and stumbles out of bed. He sits on the edge of my bed and gently places his hand on my arm but I flinch away in fear that he's going to hurt me.

"Hey, it's okay." he whispers. "You're alright."

He rests his hand on my knee and squeezes it comfortingly. I nod stifling a sob trying to calm myself down. I get my breathing under control and squeeze my eyes shut just wanting to disappear.

"See, you're okay." Vic whispers.

I look up at him and he's looking at me sadly.

"You should go back to sleep." He suggests but I can't help the fear of being left alone in the dark.

"I-I can't. I'm scared." I mumble feeling slightly embarrassed.

He gives me a sympathetic look before nodding then standing up. He holds out his hand and I look at him confused.

"Come on." He whispers.

I search his eyes for any sign that he's going to hurt me but I find none. I shakily grab his hand and he gently pulls me up out of bed. He pulls me over to his bed before he gets in.

"It's alright. I'm not going to hurt you." He whispers and I nod climbing in next to him.

He drapes his arm over my waist and for the first time in my life, I'm completely comfortable being touched.

"You've got nothing to be scared of, okay? Nothing bad is ever going to happen to you." Vic whispers and I nod.

He reaches over and switches the lamp off. I lie on my side facing him and he does the same. I look into his eyes that twinkle in the dim light and down at his lips that are slightly parted as he breathes through them.

"You feel better?" He asks. I feel his breath tickle the end of my nose as he speaks.

"Yeah." I smile. "Thank you."

He smiles back and the mere sight of it makes my stomach flip.

"Why are you being nice to me?" I mumble quietly and he frowns again making me miss his smile.

He looks around avoiding my gaze as he gently runs his fingers across my hip. I notice his eyes become glassy and I start to wonder if I said something wrong.

"Just, just go to sleep." He whispers clearing his throat and blinking away the tears.

"Okay." I murmur and he forces a smile before letting go of my hip then rolling over.

I close my eyes and shuffle closer to him, still feeling a little scared. I let the strange comfortableness of his presence lull me to sleep.

--

I yawn as I wake up and open my eyes. The first thing I notice is that I'm not in my room. I let my mind catch up with me and I remember everything that happened, again.

I think back to late last night when I had had the nightmare. I fell asleep next to Vic in his bed but I see no Vic, though I'm still in his bed. I sit up and look around then realize that the room is empty. He must have woken up a while ago and left.