VIII

I wake up not feeling so well at all. I sit up holding my stomach, feeling so sick. It's still dark outside so I'm guessing it's really late, or really early. I groan and let out a soft whimper. Vic sits up from his bed and switches the lamp on.

"Kells, what's wrong?" He asks immediately.

"I-I feel sick." I whimper and he sighs softly.

He gets out of his bed and comes over to me. He presses the back of his hand against my forehead then his eyes go wide.

"You're burning up." He breathes as he slides his hand under my legs then the other around my back as he lifts me up.

He carries me out of the room and downstairs into the living room. He places me on the sofa then leans down next to me.

"Are you going to throw up?" He asks and I nod feeling it building up in my stomach.

He rushes away and I wait holding my stomach. He returns with a bucket and sits me up. I take the bucket as I feel the spew rise in my throat before it exits my mouth and spills into the bucket. Vic rubs my back as I cough up the vomit. When I finish, Vic takes the bucket and places it down before placing the back of his hand on my forehead again.

"I need to cool you down." He murmurs to himself but truthfully, I feel freezing. I'm shivering because I'm so cold.

He leaves again and I just sit there rubbing my arms, wishing that my headache would go away. He returns once again with a wet washcloth. He sits on the sofa next to me and places the cold, wet fabric over my forehead.

"V-Vic, I'm c-cold." I mumble, my teeth chattering.

"I know but you have a fever and I need to cool you down or we'll have to go to the hospital." Vic explains.

"Okay." I murmur in understanding as I continue to rub my arms in attempt to warm myself up.

"Come here." He whispers, opening his arms and I crawl into them.

His body heat almost instantly makes me comfortable. He rubs my arms that are still covered in goosebumps and I rest my head on his warm chest. He picks up the TV remote and turns the TV on. The light illuminates the dark room and Vic starts flicking through the channels.

"Tell me when to stop." He murmurs.

It gets to The Looney Toons Show and I tell Vic to stop. He does so and I notice him give me an adoring smile. He continues to rub my arms as he holds me. Watching TV and being in his arms, relaxes me and I begin to feel better. I still feel sick but I don't feel as panicked about it.

"I'm sorry." Vic whispers.

"Why?" I ask confused glancing at him.

"You're sick because I left you out in the rain. I'm sorry." He apologizes again.

"It's not your fault." I frown. "It rained. I stood in it. It's my fault."

Vic sighs and runs his fingers through my hair gently.

"No, it's my‒"

I push my finger to his lips so he can't talk.

"It's no one's fault. Now shush. I'm trying to watch cartoons." I whisper.

He chuckles and nods, giving in. After that, Vic plays with my hair as I watch TV and before long I fall asleep in his arms.

---

When I wake up, I'm no longer in Vic's arms. I'm lying on the sofa, a pillow under my head and a blanket thrown over me. Mama Fuentes is trying to stick something in my ear making me let out a confused whimper.