XIII

"Taylor!" I grin, going over and hugging her.

She seems surprised but happy as she wraps her arms back around me.

"Kellin! You look great." She grins, holding me at arms length so she can examine me.

"Thank you." I smile.

"Boys, where were you? I was worried. Vic, your phone is off." Mama says.

"We went to the movies. I turned my phone off before the movie started." Vic explains and Mama smiles widely.

"Oh that's fantastic. Good thinking taking Kell to the movies. I was worried he'd be bored all day." Mama grins. "What movie did you go see?"

"Happy Feet two." I chime in.

"That's nice." Mama nods. "Vic, can you come help me set the table? Dinner almost ready."

"Sure thing." Vic chirps and I see a happy sparkle in Mama's eyes.

They leave the room, leaving me alone with Taylor.

"Take a seat Kell." She grins and I sit down next to her. "You seem to have settled in well."

"I have." I grin. "I really like it here. You were right. Everything was really scary at first and a lot of things still are but it's so much better than living with my parents."

She gives me an admiring look.

"I'm so proud of you Kellin. You've come a lot further than I thought you would have. When I picked you up from the hospital, you were too scared to let me touch you and now you've just greeted me with a hug." Taylor grins.

"I couldn't have progressed so much if it wasn't for Mama, Papa and Vic. They're all so kind." I explain.

"I told you that you were in good hands." Taylor beams. "So are you happy to stay here? We can put you somewhere else if you want."

"No. I'm really happy here. H-how long am I staying here exactly?" I ask, something that I've been wondering a lot.

"Until you're eighteen. Then you're free to decide where you want to go. Of course unless you change your mind about staying here or something happens and you have to be removed." Taylor explains.

"Why would I have to be removed?" I ask confused.

"If you get hurt or something and it's not deemed safe here for you then we'd have to find you a different home. I doubt that would happen though." She explains and I nod.

"So if I wanted to, I could stay here forever with Mama and Papa and Vic?" I ask hopefully and she nods.

"Yes Kells. Vivian and Victor Sr. are your foster parents. They're your legal guardians. They can adopt you and they can become your actual parents but there wouldn't be much point to that since you're nearly eighteen." Taylor explains.

"Food is served." Papa announces walking into the room.

"Come on Kiddo. Lets eat." Tay chirps and I nod eagerly.

I wonder what Mama cooked today.

We go into the kitchen and I take my usual seat next to Vic. Taylor sits across from me. I glance at Vic smiling and he smiles back before I feel him take my hand and links his fingers with mine.

Every gesture he makes towards me is just magical. Every smile, every look, every touch, everything; it's just magical.

Papa places a plate in front of me. I look down at the steak and swallow hard as I get bad memories.