{Avenged Sevenfold} Help Me Find My Way {Book 2} [10]

I splashed my face with hot water again and still not much color. I sighed and washed my mouth out again trying to get the taste out. I hadn't felt this bad or looked this horrid since I'd been pregnant with Dakota. Still I knew that wasn't an option this time. They had said no more pregnancies after Dakota so I allowed them to tie my tubes after the delivery. That had been an excruciating eighteen hours but Dakota was worth every agonizing minute.

I smiled as I pulled out my bronzer and applied it liberally with a light hand so I looked sun kissed and not like I had just taken a cake of bronzer and smashed it to my face. I chuckled remembering the time that Jimmy Jr. had told a woman that she looked like she had done just that in the grocery store. The woman was mortified but what can I say? Kids say the damnedest things.

I packed up everything and checked out of the hotel for the drive home. Normally I don't mind the driving but I was starting to feel sick again by the time I pulled into the drive. I left the suitcase and just made my way to the door. It was open and Dakota was wrapped around my waist before I was able to reach for the doorknob.

"Mom! We've missed you. Matt should take that cooking course with you this fall," he mumbled into my shirt.

I laughed lightly until my stomach started getting queasy again. I quickly detangled Dakota's arms and made my way to the kitchen. "I missed you guys too Dakota." 

Matt was passing out plates of pizza and I felt my stomach rebel. I put a hand to my mouth and ran from the kitchen.

"Mom?!" I heard from all three kids as I bent over the toilet in the downstairs bathroom. 

"Kathy?" I heard the door click shut and Matt was there with a soothing hand rubbing circles on my back and holding my hair back from my face.

"I think I must have caught that late flu bug going around. I just woke up this morning feeling horrible."

"Well why don't you go upstairs and lie down. I'll send Andy up with some soup and crackers ok?"

"Alright," I said straightening. I washed my face and headed upstairs to brush my teeth and rinse my mouth again. I had just laid down when there was a knock on the door.

"Come in," I called tiredly.

The door opened and in came Andy carefully balancing a tray. She set it down for me and sat on the edge of the bed.

"You're gonna need to rest Mom."

"Thanks Andy but I think I know what to do," I said wryly as I took a spoonful of soup. 

"No seriously Mom, Kelly's mom got this flu bug too and she didn't stay in bed and she ended up in the hospital."

"That's why Susan was in the hospital? A flu bug?"

"Yeah, but don't worry. We've got everything covered. I'm off school now officially since Friday was my last day so I'll help with the house and keep Jimmy in line with his homework and help Dakota too. Matt's gonna be back in the studio so I'll just make sure to keep him some dinner warm and I already called Mitch's dad. He's gonna pick Dakota up for little league practices." 

"Well when did you learn to be so efficient?" I asked putting down my spoon.

"Moooom, from helping you of course. Val offered to make you soup I said it would be more of a help if she could just take over your paperwork until you're back at the office so that's what she's doing."

"Andy, you are amazingly wonderful. When did you grow up?"

"I don't know Mom, I guess I still am." She picked at the blankets. "Mom, did you really love Dad?"