Iron & Wine-Chapter Eight: Motion Overruled

Chapter Eight-Motioned Overruled

Over the past few weeks, Celadine and I grew to become great friends. She literally was the most interesting person I knew. She would tell me stories of her travels all over the world, insisting that I accompany her on the next trip she took. Everyday, I would enter her office and she would have assorted chocolates or cakes, cookies, even a variety of candies once. I quickly realized that she was trying to figure out what my favorite things were after the assortments began to narrow down to simple caramels, chocolate chips cookies, and red liquorices.

It was now a Wednesday night. Julie was working at the library, my project only needs finishing touches and Celadine doesn't need me at the gallery. I was totally relaxed as I thought about the care free night ahead of me, grabbed the popcorn out of the microwave and headed for the couch. I had rented a couple of movies and was set for the night. Just as I was curling up with my blanket, and a heap of pillows, the phone rang.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Avery?" inquired an alarmed and familiar voice.

"Yes," I confirmed. "Celadine, what’s up?" It was unusual that she would be calling me. If she needed me at the gallery Mona would usually call.

"I'm very sorry to bother you on your night off, but I need you here," Celadine insisted. "If you are free and able, of course," she added politely.

Of course I would come and she knew that, I would do anything for Celadine and the gallery. "Um, sure, what time do you need me?" I asked.

"As soon as possible, please," she answered. She sounded so awkward on the phone, as if she barely ever used it.

"Um, okay, I can be there in twenty minutes or so," I informed her. I remembered that Julie had my bike because hers was in the shop. I'd have to walk. I didn't mind though, it was only a few blocks.

"Can you come sooner?" she asked, a bit of desperation to her voice now. This is so unlike her.

"Okay then, ten minutes?" I guess I could take the bus for ten minutes. I mean, how bad could I get?

"Very well, see you then." And she hung up. I stood there and stared at the phone in my hand for a few seconds. That was so weird. I hung it up and grabbed my purse on my way out the door.

Once outside, I put on my earphones and waited for the bus at the stop right out front of the shop, it felt weird, silly actually. I had never taken the bus before, aside from the school bus a few times when I was a kid. That quickly came to an end when I realized I didn't like being called "Barf Girl" anymore.

The bus pulled up and I immediately became nauseous. I let out a deep breath of air and took in another before I walked up the two steps. After depositing my bus fair, I quickly searched for a seat next to a window. I slid into one right by the back door. Good enough.