Chapter Fourteen - It's a Date

Chapter Fourteen-It's a Date

"What a total jerk," squealed Julie, as I told her about my evening. We sat together on the old leather couch in the coffee shop.

"It's not his fault though," I replied, defending Jack. "I just sat there like an idiot! I can't believe what an utter mess I am."

"Hey! You are not an idiot. If he can't be patient enough to get to know you then screw him! You don't need a guy like that," she claimed.

"Oh yeah, then what kind of guy do I need, Jules? I've never had a serious boyfriend and I'm almost nineteen years old!" I crossed my arms and slumped down into the couch. "I should get a cat," I added under my breath. Did a tiny sprite count as a cat? I laughed to myself as I thought about my secret little roommate. She was probably in my room watching TV and eating all my cookies.

"Well, how about someone like Will?" she suggested as she glanced over at him and smiled. He looked confused, but smiled back at her.

"Yeah right Jules. First of all, he's more like a brother to me. And second, he's absolutely crazy about you!" I told her. She just looked at me in surprise.

"Really, do you think so?" she asked as color ran to her cheeks. "I kind of have a thing for him too."

"Then why did you suggest that I go for him?" I asked her, totally confused.

"Oh, I never meant to actually go for Will, I said someone like Will," she replied with a laugh. "Will is an amazing guy, and you deserve someone just as great."

"No one is as lucky as I am to have a friend like you, Jules." She always made me feel better, no matter the situation.

"Only one other person," she replied. "Me."

Just then Will came over with two pieces of pie for us.

"What's with the pie?" I asked. "We didn't order any."

He shrugged. "I see girls talking, looking like they're having a moment; I figure it's time for pie or cake of some sort." And he laid them down on the table in front of us. We just looked at him in awe.

"Oh. I have sisters," he said quickly, as if that would explain it. We all laughed and hung out until the shop was ready to close. We helped Will clean up and when everyone was gone he locked up.

"See you guys at school tomorrow!" he called as he shut the door behind him. We both gave him a wave and headed up stairs.

I was still wired from the earlier events with Jack. I couldn't stop thinking about him. Obviously he liked me. Maybe. And I knew that I liked him. But why couldn't we get along? I just wished he was somewhat easier to talk to. It felt like I was constantly defending myself or like he was secretly making fun of me. I laid in bed for hours thinking about it, staring blankly at my ceiling.