Chapter Nineteen - All That Glitters

Chapter Nineteen-All That Glitters

"So, what did she look like?" Julie asked as she made breakfast and I sat with my head on the table.

"I don't know, I can't really recall much, just being terrified. She had these menacing eyes, I remember that for sure. I think she can make you feel scared or something just by looking at you." My head hurt so much, laying it on the cool granite top felt nice. Lattie was sitting beside my face, smoothing my cheek.

"Should we go to the cops?" Julie suggested.

I popped my head up and gave her the eyebrow. "And say what exactly? That there is a crazy lady who I think might be a monster of some kind and she is out to get me because of some painting?" I asked sarcastically. "Jules, she's not human. I know that for sure. She said something about kingdoms and evil things in the woods. Humans don't talk like that."

Julie brought me a coffee and sat across the table. "Well, what do we do?"

"Nothing, we do nothing. She said she was going to make sure that I really was the one she was looking for. When she realizes that I'm not, she won't come for me. I mean, why would she?"

"I guess so, if you think that's the best way to deal with this," she replied.

"Yes, I just want to forget about it," I insisted. And I did. I had other things to worry about. Like Jack. He was meeting me in the coffee shop tonight. I felt like I should tell my friends about him, but wasn't ready to yet. I hadn't digested everything myself, so I decided to wait until I knew what this was between us before I told anyone.

"Are we going to the beach today?" Lattie asked with hopeful eyes.

"Sure sweetie. After breakfast we'll get ready and go," I replied. "Jules, are you coming?"

"No, not today, I have a shift at the library, sorry girls."

"It's okay, next time?" Lattie asked. "They have a man who gives you delicious hot dogs and iced cream!" She twirled around in the air in front of us. Junk food made her go crazy, she loved it.

After spending the day at the beach, Lattie and I headed back to the apartment. She was so tuckered out that she'd fallen asleep in my purse. The sun set as I climbed the stairs at the back of the coffee shop up to my apartment door. I put Lattie on my bed and covered her up with a pillowcase. I quickly changed my clothes and ran back downstairs.

"Hey, Avery, what's up?" Will asked. I hadn't seen him when I came in before, shoot. Now he'd see Jack and tell Julie.

"Um, not much, just heading out to get a costume for the party, coffee to go?"

"You don't have one already?" he asked as he handed me my usual.

I threw some change in the tip jar. "No, honestly I never even thought about it until last night."