Chapter Thirty - Crumble

Chapter Thirty-Crumble

We were off, running back to the park. I knew exactly where to find the kelpie. It would surely be at the water's edge, between the magical side of the park and Iron World. Back to where I once drowned. I was terrified, angry and anxious all at once.

I was terrified of the kelpie; that it would try to finish what it had started with me. I was angry that I had let something like this happen to someone I knew, someone who could possibly ruin my life if she were to survive. And I was anxious, anxious to save her. No matter how much Max and I fought, no matter how worried I was about what she would do to me after this, I could never live with myself if I stood by and let my problem just fade away. To just let her drown.

We approached the water; I could see it reflecting through the trees. I ran faster when I saw it, but it didn't feel fast enough. Moya suddenly appeared at the water's edge, and dove into the lake, her long dress soaking into the water. She must have teleported herself there once she saw how close we were.

Finally, I got there. I burst through the last of the twigs and branches and looked around frantically. I heard splashing and turned to my left to find Moya on the kelpie's back. She had her arms around its neck and was wrestling with it.

 I didn't even let myself think. I just took off and jumped into the water toward the Maiden and the sea creature. As I got closer, I could see Max's blonde hair floating on top of the water like a yellow lily pad. Her body was trapped under the kelpie, and it didn't look as if she was putting up a fight. She appeared to be lifeless, just floating there.

That didn't stop me though. I dove under the water and grabbed one of the kelpie's boney horse-like legs that were wrapped around my friend's body. Its flesh felt all wrong, nothing like a horse should be. Its black shiny scales had a gritty and oily texture, making it impossible for me to get a good enough grip.

Suddenly, the kelpie realized that I was there and gave me a powerful smack with its massive fish tail. It completely knocked the wind out of me as I flew up and out of the water, landing back about ten feet. The blood now running out of my nose and down my neck was warm compare to the cold lake water.

Once I caught my breath again, I made another dive into the water. This time I didn't even bother with trying to pry Max free, instead I gave the kelpie a hard kick in its side with all I had. The sudden jolt seemed to stun it. It released its hold on Max's limp body enough for me to grab her. I held on to her with all my might and swam back to the surface, away from the creature, leaving Moya to fight it.

I dragged Max's mangled body onto the beach. She had been completely stripped of her clothing. Her face was a mess, smeared with blood and dirt; her lips were an unsettling shade of purple.

"Max!" I cried and beat on her chest. I had no idea how to give CPR. Tears poured down my face and onto hers as I blew air into her mouth. I felt her chest rise and fall with my breaths, but not with her own. I kept performing mouth to mouth when I heard someone yelling from behind. I could barely make out anything around me; my head was buzzing and spinning.

"Avery, stop it. You're going to hurt her!" Moya grabbed my shoulder and pulled me away. I kicked and screamed like a child for her to let me go, to let me help Max. "Avery, it's okay. Oliver is here."

I calmed down enough to see Oliver running toward us with Lattie and Violet in tow. He came to a quick stop and fell to his knees beside Max's body. I suddenly thought maybe I should cover her up a bit. She was completely naked and exposed, but Moya wouldn't let go, she kept both of her arms wrapped tightly around me.

"Can you help her? Is she dead?" I cried to Oliver.

He put his ear to her chest and felt her wrist and neck for a pulse. "No, she is alive, barely. But I can save her." He scrambled for a pouch that he kept on his belt and pulled out a small bottle. "I will give her this. It will keep her heart beating until we get to my house. I need to bring her there in order to treat her." He looked at me when he spoke this, as if I was the one who had the final say.

"Yes, yes, whatever you need to do." I turned to Moya. "Can I borrow you cloak?"

"Yes, of course." She quickly flung the white cloak over her shoulders and handed it to me. It was soaking wet but at least it would cover Max's nakedness. I knelt beside Max as Oliver lifted her and wrapped it around her sand covered body.