Chapter Thirteen - Jack

Chapter Thirteen-Jack

I grabbed my purse as I made my way out the door and scanned over Celadine's list of things she needed me to get done for the gallery in order to be ready for the showing that weekend.

"Get black silk fabric, call the caterer, book the bartender, and find large white feathers," I spoke out loud to myself as I walked down the stairs to the coffee shop. When I approached the counter Will turned to face me.

"Hey, Avery," he greeted with a smile. "Are you talking to yourself or to me?"

"No, I have a lot of stuff to get done for the showing this weekend. I don't want to forget anything, it's my first one and Max is going to be there," I said reluctantly. "Hey, you're coming right? I put you on the list."

He smiled his adorable Will smile. "And miss seeing the jealousy on Max's face? I wouldn't miss it for the world!" He laughed and handed me my regular coffee.

We talked for a few more minutes before a line began to form behind me and then I turned to be on my way, waving over my shoulder as I left. But, before I even made it as far as the door, I smacked right into someone, my hot coffee splashing all over them, and myself, wonderful. I looked up to apologize to the person but then realized who it was.

 "Oh, great," I moaned embarrassingly.

 "Is that what you usually say when you spill scalding beverages on people?" asked Jack, smiling that stupid smile at me.

I glanced down at his plain white t-shirt, now soaked in coffee and grinned. It revealed just how thin his shirt was, I could see a part of his muscular chest as the wet fabric formed to it. "Well, I don't normally have someone standing so closely behind me," I replied coldly and tried to walk past him but he quickly stepped in my path.

 "At least let me buy you another coffee," Jack offered. He had an annoying charm about him that made it extremely hard to say no.

 "You know this is borderline stalking," I stated, knowing very well that I was over reacting. But something about this guy bothered me. "I should have called the cops."

"Then why didn't you?" he asked, knowing very well that I wouldn't ever do it. I just glared at him. I know he hasn't really done anything to truly get upset over but he really got on my nerves, even more than Max did. But his eyes hinted at something deeper, something that goes past his playful surface and I sort of wanted to discover it.

  "You know, I bumped into you, technically I owe you a drink," I reluctantly said, walking him over to the counter.

Jack swooped in front of me gracefully. "Please, I insist."

He purchased two coffees. Will watched us carefully as he continued to serve the long line up of customers.