Chapter Eighteen - Unveiling

Chapter Eighteen-Unveiling

The rest of my week flew by. I worked hard getting things ready for the gallery that weekend. It was becoming second nature to see sparkly wings in my apartment each time I came home. Lattie had free range of the place and Julie no longer felt that she had to hide herself from me. Her appearance didn't seem so scary now that I knew the truth. I found that the way she looked was the only thing that changed about her; she was still the same old Julie, still my best friend. I wondered if she would ever tell Will, since they were sort of dating now.

I stood in front of my mirror, modeling myself to make sure that I looked nice enough for the showing. I was so nervous. It is my first big show, and I was more involved in this one than any others that Celadine had directed. I sighed and told myself that I would be just as nervous no matter what I wore, so I grabbed my purse and made my way out to the living room.

"Avery, you look so pretty!" Lattie chirped in her childlike voice. Her wings fluttered in my ear as she came and sat on my shoulder. "I wish that I could come."

"I wish you could too, but there will be too many people there. I wouldn't be able to take care of you," I said guiltily. Lattie just wanted to be part of everything we did, she hated being left out. "How about we all go for a walk tomorrow down at the beach?" I offered.

"Okay, as long as you promise."

"Sure," I promised. She always insisted on me promising everything, as if it would bind me to the agreement the way it would for a fairy. Sometimes, I wondered if Lattie forgot that I am only a human. Just then, Julie emerged from her bedroom all ready to go.

"Will said he's meeting us there," she told me. "You look awesome! Are you ready to go?"

I sighed. "Yep, ready as I'll ever be I guess."

Julie threw her arm over my shoulder as we headed for the door. "Don't worry, tonight will be great. And Max will be jealous. It'll be fantastic!"

We laughed and said good bye to Lattie who was rummaging through the cupboards for cookies.

I was so excited. I hadn't seen the gallery in a couple days, Celadine wouldn't let me. She claimed that she was going to gage the level of work that she had done on my reaction. I didn't know why she cared so much about my opinion, but she did. It's strange, actually, how she was someone whom I looked up to and idolized so much. I looked to her for inspiration and guidance and yet, in the end, she sometimes needed guidance herself.

We were nearing the gallery now. Julie and I had decided to walk since it wasn't far and the night was beautiful and warm. I glanced over at her walking next to me. She was so stunning, and I bet she didn't even realize it. Her platinum blonde hair hung in loose curls that trailed down her back. Her black, strapless dress fit her body as if it had been tailor made for her and the gold pumps she wore finished the outfit. I wondered how much of it was glamour. She smiled at me and squeezed my hand.