Chapter Fifteen - Party Hard

Chapter Fifteen-Party Hard

The next day at school passed nauseatingly slow, mostly due to the fact that I couldn't wait for that night. What should I wear to a fairy party? Should I bring something? Would Lattie get in trouble for bringing me? Would I really be at risk of any danger?

I stared out the new set of French doors beside me, lost in thought. I hadn't spent a minute in reality all day until something hit me in the arm. I snapped back into reality fast and almost fell off of my stool. I didn't need to look to see who'd thrown something at me.

"Max, what the hell is your problem?" I snapped.

She just gave an evil smirk. "I was just checking to see if you're alive." She got up from her stool then. "Class is over by the way," she added.

I looked around in alarm. Had I actually daydreamed the whole day away? Again? Crap. I scrambled my stuff together and ran out the door.

I headed over to the gallery. It was Tuesday and the freight shipment was coming in. I spent a few hours there receiving everything and putting it away like I usually did. By now, I had it down to a science; I could probably do that part of my job with my eyes closed. Celadine hadn't shown up to sign off on it, so I left it on her desk. She was probably still spending time with her brother. I'd forgotten to ask how long he was in town for; I bet he'd be interesting to meet if he was anything like Celadine.

I got my jacket and said goodbye to Mona on the way out. She just gave me a slight nod, as she usually did, which was a step up from the usual nothing that I used to get from her. I rushed home on my bike to get ready for the party. I was hoping Lattie would be there so I could ask her what I should wear or what to bring. She was there, waiting anxiously for me. After twenty minutes of me trying to conclude what I was going to wear, Lattie became quite impatient.

"Avery, you look fine! Let's go!" she persisted as she yanked on my sleeve. She had watched me change my outfit about five times until I decided on jeans and yellow top.

"Wait, I have to leave a note for Julie," I claimed. Julie was working at the library tonight and then hanging out with Will after, so she might not be home before me. But just in case, I wanted to leave her a note. But what should I write? 'Hey Jules, out with my fairy friends in the woods, but don't try to come find me; it's enchanted so you won't find it'? I settled for letting her know that I was just out and will be back later.

Soon, I was tramping through the trees with Lattie, feeling like a fool as I tripped over every second stump or root. We were somewhere close to the park across from the apartment, but I literally had no idea how to get back.

"Lattie, are you sure you know where you are going?" I asked as I stumbled over a bunch of tree roots for the hundredth time.

"Avery, please, I'm a sprite, of course I know where it is," she replied as she danced around the air in front of my face. "You just have to be patient, you don't find the party, it finds you."