Chapter Twenty Six - Halloween

Chapter Twenty Six-Halloween

I spent every night that week at Jack's house, but always found myself in my own bed by morning. It was now Friday and Halloween. When I rolled over to go back to sleep, I found Lattie sitting on the other pillow holding a piece of paper.

"Well, well, well," she said, as she read the words to herself. "It seems I may have been wrong about this particular vampire."

"What do you mean?" I asked and hauled myself up into a sitting position.

Lattie cleared her throat to signal that she was about to read the note, obviously left by Jack.

"My sweet, Avery," she began, and gave me a mocking smile. I rolled my eyes and leaned back on my pillow. "It pains me to have to leave you for another day. I am assured that you are in the safe arms of your dear friends. Have a wonderful day, and I will see you at the party tonight, Love Jack." Lattie passed me the note and flew up to my face. I could tell that she was trying to keep a stern look, but was failing terribly.

"Do you love him? This Jack?" she asked bluntly with her arms crossed over her chest.

"Yes." I smiled at the thought. I was in love. And not just some sappy puppy love crap you see in the movies, real love, bonded.

"More than me?" she quietly asked under her breath. I was touched by her concern. Was she really worried about something like that?

"Lattie," I began. "I love you so much. You're my best friend. How could you ask me something like that?"

"I'm not your best friend, Julie is," she claimed.

"Don't be silly. Julie is my family, like my sister. You, on the other hand, are my best friend. You don't have adventures like we do and not be best friends."

She brightened up a little. I could always tell, because her wings started to flutter more, like a dog wagging its tail.

"Promise?" she asked.

"I promise with all my heart and soul," I swore. "Now, breakfast?"

"Yes please! Can we have pancakes?" she asked excitedly and followed me out to the kitchen.

"You must be getting sick of those by now," I said with a chuckle.

She looked stunned. "Absolutely not! They are my most favorite of all the Iron World foods!"

Later that day, I stood and stared in awe at a beautiful fairy. She had radiant red hair that flowed down the length of her back in loose curls, shimmery green skin that sparkled when she moved and her wings were as white as fresh snow. I smiled at her and she smiled back.