Chapter Twenty Four - Reassurance

Chapter Twenty Four-Reassurance

I grabbed Julie's hand as we walked up the large stone walkway to Celadine's front entrance.

"Thank you," I said.

"Thank you for what?"

"Well, for giving them a chance and for trying to understand," I replied.

She stopped then. "Avery, I trust your judgement. And, plus, I've seen them both and I couldn't even tell."

"What do you mean you couldn't tell? You can see the difference between vampires and humans?" If there was a major distinction then I felt silly for not seeing it right away. They'd appeared a little too perfect looking, but not inhuman.

"Sort of, well, we're supposed to. I've never met one that I know of. But I read that, since they're a threat to fairies, we have a built in defence thing. We should be able to sense one vampire in a room full of humans."

"And you couldn't?" I asked, sceptical.

"No, it's weird. Maybe it's because I've lived in Iron World my whole life. Perhaps I never developed the extra sense or something." She shrugged like it was no big deal.

"I guess. It would explain it," I agreed and inhaled a deep breath. "Ready?" I asked, motioning toward the door. Julie nodded and I banged the old, gigantic brass knocker. We stood there and waited a few moments until someone came to the door.

"Hello, ladies," greeted the most beautiful voice in the world. Well, in my world at least. I stared up at Jack's magnificent and flawless face. His vibrant blue eyes peered into mine and I wanted him to wrap his iron arms around me.

"Ahem," Julie coughed interrupting the moment. I'd almost forgotten that she was standing there. Actually, I'd forgotten where I was for a second.

"Oh, sorry, Jack, this is Julie. Julie, Jack," I quickly introduced them.

"Pleased to meet you, Julie, formally," said Jack in the polite manner that he often used. I'd once thought that he was mocking me all of the time with that smug politeness, and I'm sure that he sometimes was, but now I knew that it probably came from his years of living in old Europe. Or maybe his mother had raised him that way. Who knew?

"Please, come in. Celi is waiting in the den."

We followed him to the den, which was at the far end of the house and, ironically, in a sun room. The white moonlight shone through the glass ceiling and illuminated the room in a pale blue glow. Celadine had furnished the place in old Victorian styled furniture, like the rest of the house. Almost everything was white and silver.

The room was stunning, just like her. My boss sat on a beautiful loveseat, wearing a black pant suit. Her dark dread locks were let loose down around her shoulders and rested in a pool behind her. She smiled and stood to greet us as we entered the room.