Iron & Wine-Chapter Five: Love Hate

Chapter Five-Love Hate

"I miss you so much, Avery," claimed Tess. She made me promise to call her as much as I could. I called and told her about our first day.

"I miss you too Tess. We're actually thinking of coming home this coming weekend, to pick up a few more things and to see you of course."

"Oh, sorry kid but I have the International Home and Garden Show this weekend. Take a rain check? How about next weekend I come into the city and we'll have a movie night?"

"Sounds good Tess, but I got to go. Will should be here soon."

"Well have fun. I’m glad that you guys made a friend so soon," Tess said, but I knew she was hoping that one of us would be more than friends with him. She was always trying to get us to date. She even set us up one time with one of her designer friends two sons. That was a nightmare. Turned out, they weren’t interested in us. But it wasn't just us; it was any female, if you catch my drift.

Other than that, we had been on a few dates throughout high school and we had dates for prom but no relationships. It's not that we were weird or anything, we just didn't find guys from our small town very interesting. Plus, Julie had her job at the book store and I was always doing minor art competitions and helping Tess out with her work.

I was taking the nachos out of the oven when a knock came at the door. I went to answer it but Julie came running, literally, out of her room.

"I'll get it!" she cried, practically jumping at the handle. I laughed and went back to the kitchen. A few moments later, she and Will entered the room. He had a bunch of rented movies.

"Hey Will. What movies did you get?" I asked. I didn't want to scare him, but Julie and I were pretty hard core movie buffs and we were picky over our movie night rentals.

"I got Kung Fu Kick Off and Terminator one, two and three," he replied. Julie shot me a concerned look. I returned one to her. She hated Kung Fu movies.

"Kidding!" he laughed. "I got Across the Universe and Rent. Geez, you guys should have seen your faces." He laid the movies down on the island. "I'm going to run downstairs and grab some coffees, you guys want?"

I smiled and nodded. "Will, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship," I said jokingly. It's like he got us already, the nervousness quickly dissolved from him, so I guess it was just from being around girls.

"I'll come with you," Julie offered. She grinned at me and left with Will to go downstairs. I think I could already see where that was going. I put the nachos on the coffee table and grabbed the popcorn from the microwave and the movies from the kitchen.

They returned with the drinks and some cookies from the cafe. We had an awesome movie spread. We sat and watched the movies and sang along with most of the songs while finishing off almost all of the food. Julie and Will shared the couch while I was curled up in the big comfy chair. The night ended when Julie woke me up from the junk food coma I fell into.