Chapter Twenty Three - Matter of Opinion

Chapter Twenty Three-Matter of Opinion

 I awoke in my own bed with the sun glaring in through my window. I was thankful that today was a free day at school which meant no classes. Lattie was pulling on my hair to wake me. When I opened my eyes she jumped back.

"I'm so sorry, Avery, it's just so late in the day and you weren't waking. I thought something was wrong with you," she apologized in her high pitched voice.

"Oh, that's okay Lattie, I'm just tired, I guess," I said with another yawn and stretched. I ached all over, but in a good way, the most amazing way. I smiled blissfully as I remembered my wonderful and magical night. Lattie then huddled against my arm and hugged it tightly. She was so tiny that it felt like someone's hand wrapped around my arm, but the feeling didn't sit well with me.

"Lattie, what's wrong? I'm okay really," I assured her.

"I'm just so happy that you're safe. I'm sorry I ran away like a coward last night. But I didn't know what to do, I couldn't go back there. I just couldn't!" She was so scared. What was she talking about? Then I remembered the earlier part of my night, the not so great part, and panic set in fast.

"Lattie, what happened? Did you get a look at that lady?" I asked, suddenly very awake.

"Yes, I hid in the trees nearby. That was Evaine. She's one of Queen Mabry's fairies. Evaine is very bad, Avery. If you ever see her again you need to run...I fear that your life is truly in danger," Lattie warned.

"Oh Lattie, I'm so glad you got away safely, don't feel bad for running. If that ever happens again, you do the same thing. Just run! I don't even want to think what would have happened if she caught you. Come on, we need to talk to Julie," I announced as I hopped out of bed. I realized then, that I was only wearing a long blue men's t-shirt. I smiled as the bliss washed over me again. Despite the seriousness of the problem I now faced, I headed out toward Julie's room with a spring in my step. She was awake but still in bed, reading.

"Hey, what's up?" she asked absently, not looking up from her book. I crawled in bed beside her and Lattie planted herself on the top of her book, letting her little legs hang down over the pages. With a quick glance, it only took her a second to notice that something was up once she saw my bandaged arm.

"What the hell happened to you!?" she asked in alarm.

"That same fairy from the gallery attacked me last night, Jules," I started. "I think she was out for blood this time."

"What?" She sat up straight in bed and put her book down, almost squishing Lattie. "Who was she? Why was she after you?"

"Her name was Evaine," Lattie chipped in. "I think she was sent by the Queen."

"That's weird. Why, because you know too much about our world? No, she wouldn't send Evaine for that," Julie talked to herself as she stared off thoughtfully.