Iron & Wine-Chapter Seven: A Work of Art

Chapter Seven-A Work of Art

Three days went by with no word from the gallery. I was beginning to think that I never got the job. I wouldn't really care, as long as Max didn't get it over me. I would never hear the end if she got it. I would have to changes classes. Hell, I’d have to change schools. I was slumped on the couch with a bucket of ice cream and some nachos when Julie came home to find me there.

"Avery! Tell me you did not sit here the whole day and mope?!" she cried as she attempted to grab the bucket from me.

"Yeah, so what if I did?" I grunted. "What's the big deal?"

"The 'big deal' is that you haven’t even heard from the gallery and you’re acting as if you never got the job!” she yelled.

"But Celadine barely even looked at my portfolio Jules! Oh, but she loved Max's, stupid Max," I complained as I scooped another spoonful of ice cream in my mouth. "Why did I have to get stuck sitting next to someone like that?"

Julie plopped down on the couch next to me and put her arm around me.

"What I was trying to say was how could you think that you didn't get it? You're amazing and so is your work. You second guess yourself way too much Avery."

I smiled at that. How does she do it? She can make me feel better about something in two seconds, and here I spent the entire weekend re-thinking my career choice. I laughed at how ridiculous I was.

"You know, maybe you should become a guidance counsellor or something. You always know the right things to say to someone," I told her.

"Nah, you’re crazy enough for me to deal with!" she joked and grabbed the spoon from hand.

****

Monday morning at school was crazy. Everyone in my class was talking about their interview with Celadine. Apparently no one heard a reply back yet, and this made me feel a little better.

Max refused to look at me or even acknowledge my existence at all. Good. I didn't want to talk to her either. I wish she treated me like this all the time actually, it was nice and quiet.

The day rolled on smoothly as we learned about perspective drawing. I found it a little hard to concentrate as I worried about my interview; I hadn't heard anyone say that Celadine asked them any personal questions like she did with me. What did that mean?

Just then, there came a knock at the door. Everyone stopped what they were doing to look up when Mr. Vanner opened it. In stepped the concierge from the gallery, she looked awkward and uncomfortable away from her desk. The whole feel of the room changed as she looked around, searching. Her tired eyes found mine for a brief moment, and my heart did a little flip flop. But then her eyes landed on Max and she grinned.