Chapter Twenty Seven - Consequences

Chapter Twenty Seven-Consequences

Hours later, the party was still rocking, some people were playing games in the living room, others gathered on the balcony.

"Hey," Jules said. "All of the humans are gone for the night and Will's passed out in my room. We're going to drop our glamour's and break out some real wine. Want some?"

"Oh, that would be perfect right about now," I answered with a relieved sigh, my mouth already watering at the thought of summer wine. "Hey, what about Jack and Celadine, is everyone okay with them?"

"Oh yeah, totally, I explained the whole situation, everyone's cool. Moya said she was fascinated the moment they showed up."

"Great! I'm going to let Lattie out of my room then. She's probably bouncing off of the walls."

Lattie was so excited. She flew around the apartment, happy to be free and included in the gathering, although she kept her distance from my two vampires.

Unable to contain myself after the wine warmed my veins I danced around the kitchen, Jack and Celadine watching with amusement. I stopped for a moment to sip some more wine when I noticed the bathroom door open. Tess!

Panicked, I glanced around at the gathered fey, shimmering Maidens with their candy colour hair, the blue sprite flying about with a cookie in her mouth, and...Julie! How would I ever explain all of this to Tess?

I slammed my glass down and ran over to her, but it was too late. She saw everyone.

"Avery, what's going on?" she asked nervously, not able to take her eyes off of the strange company I kept.

"Tess, I know this seems crazy. Just sit down, I'll explain everything."

She continued to stare at the group of magical creatures in disbelief. But when she caught sight of Moya, her eyes all but popped out of her skull. "No, no. I need to leave. This is crazy," she claimed, shaking her head and made her way to the door as fast as she could.

I desperately ran after her. "Tess, please. It's okay, don't be freaked out. These are my friends."

She looked at me, her lips trembling and her eyes about to overflow with tears. She then glanced behind me at Moya and the others. "I have to go, I can't be here with...with this. This is crazy." And she left.

I stood there in the entryway, not able to move. I wanted to throw up. Tess knew about my secret world. I'd had no idea how I'd ever tell her, but I'd always thought that she would be happy when she found out. Tess loved fairy tales so much, more than anyone in the world. Two arms wrapped themselves around my waist from behind and Jack kissed my neck.

"Don't worry, Avery. She's just overwhelmed. You did the same, remember?" he assured me. "Just give her time. Call her tomorrow."