Chapter Eleven - Civil

Chapter Eleven-Civil

I awoke to the sharp pain of something pulling my hair. I thought it must be caught in something, but then I remembered my strange night.

I opened my eyes and found myself looking into the sleeping face of a little blue fairy. So it hadn't been a dream, I wasn't crazy. At some point during the night, Lattie had crawled in beside me and nestled into my hair. I gently tried to free her from the tangle but she woke.

"Good morning!" she chirped, wings fluttering madly.

"Shush, my roommate!" I whispered in alarm. Too late, I heard Julie walking toward my door.

"Hide," I simply said. But she was tangled in my red hair. The blue of her skin stood out like a sore thumb, Julie would notice her immediately.

"I cannot get out!" Lattie cried as she tried to free herself. I cringed as she pulled hard on my hair. "I'm sorry Avery; I can use glamour though, so she won't see me." 

"Just do it!" I said in a panic.

Just then, Julie tapped on the door and walked in.

"Hey, you up?" she asked. "I didn't want to wake you earlier, but I thought I heard you up."

"Yeah, I'm awake. What's up?" I asked. She came over and sat beside me, ready for girl talk, no doubt. I couldn't help but nervously think about the tiny creature in my hair. My hands were sweaty already.

"Well, I wanted to hear all about the fight," she said. "Only if you want to talk about it though," she added.

"Actually, there's not a whole lot to tell. I accidentally wrecked her project and she lost it." I started. "You should have seen her Jules, total nut job I tell you. But I do feel bad about her sculpture. Anyway, then she pushed me through the glass doors in the studio and then that's when Will showed up."

"Wow, I can't believe it. Max is a scary chick but she doesn't look like the fighter type, you know?"

"You have no idea. She was so strong. I could barely fight back; it felt like I was being attacked by an animal." I shuddered at the memory of almost falling over the balcony. Julie hugged me the way she usually did to comfort me. I noticed a strange look on her face as she pulled away. She seemed to be looking for something, but never said anything. Could she tell that there was a magical creature tangled in my hair?

"Hey, can we talk later? I want to submit my painting early so I don't run into Max. I've got to get ready."

"Yeah, sure," she replied, getting up and letting herself out. "I'll have breakfast ready for when you get back." She smiled and closed my door, but not before she took another look around my room.

Phew. I could still feel Lattie in my hair.