Chapter Thirty Five - Forever

Chapter Thirty Five-Forever

I paced in front of the iron gates that lead to Celadine's huge house. The sun was setting to my left, casting a purple-orange shadow over the old mansion. I sighed and leaned against the stone fence.

I didn't know why I was so nervous about going in. I really wanted to see them; I ached to have Jack's arms around me. But it felt like I was in trouble or something. For what, I didn't know, maybe for taking off to save Max from a creature that had once drowned me? And then not checking in with them afterwards but just running off to Tess's house in the country.

I took in a deep breath, worked up the courage, and opened the iron gates that lead to the front door. I raised my hand to knock the old knocker but Celadine flung open the door before I could.

"You, young lady, are in trouble," she said angrily.

"Celadine...I...I'm sorry! I didn't mean to worry you!" I quickly began to defend myself. But she started to smile a coy smile, much like the one Jack used, and I realized she was kidding.

"Don't do that to me! I was so scared that you guys were mad at me."

"Well, we were more concerned than mad, but Julie called to assure us that you were fine," she explained. We were standing in the foyer now. Celadine took my jacket and hung it on the coat rack. "Now, come, you look hungry." She put her arm around me and squeezed my shoulder with her cool hand. I felt so safe here, with her and Jack. This house was like an iron cage, built to protect me.

I sat with Celadine in the kitchen, eating a sandwich she had fixed for me and told her all about my adventure. She was amazed and proud that I would face the kelpie after what it had done to me.

"So, where's your brother?" I asked as coolly as I could.

Celadine just smirked. "You mean your boyfriend?" she asked. I blushed and looked down at my hands in my lap. "He's upstairs, waiting for you. But I told him that I wanted some time with you first. He monopolizes you far too much."

"Sorry, it's partially my fault though," I admitted. "Let's make a note to spend more time with each other, okay?"

"Sounds good to me, darling," she agreed and smiled. "Now, go. Find Jack, I'm sure he's pacing back and forth in his room waiting for you."

"Thanks for the sandwich, Celadine." I kissed her on the cheek and ran toward the stairs.

I wasn't quite sure exactly where Jack's room was, it was always so hard to find and we usually came in through the roof patio. I wandered up the stairs that brought me to a long hallway filled with old Victorian antiques, large paintings and a lot of doors. I stopped and sighed.

We were bonded. I should be able to tell which room he was in, or at least a general direction. I closed my eyes and thought of Jack, the way his stunning blue eyes shimmered when he smiled at me, the way his iron grip made me feel safe, and the way I melted when his soft pink lips kissed mine. I opened my eyes, sure that I would lead myself to him, but was startled to see him standing right in front of me, instead.