“Ah…He made this by himself for her. That’s sweet.”

He said running his other hand over it. There was a grin on his face, making his dimples prominent.

“Yeah. I know,” I agreed. It’s been a while since I saw those dimples. I smiled to myself with the thought. By then, I had applied the antibiotic burn gel and placed new gauze, covering it with a dressing.

“Thank you for today.”

I finally told him without looking up. I had been waiting the whole day for an opportunity to tell him.

  An awkward silence between us. It was just the faint sound of the swing gliding back and forth gently. I could feel his gaze on me. It was unnerving and I was trying hard not to fidget under his gaze.

“Ava.”

He finally spoke taking my name softly.

“I have to help Mandy in the kitchen.”

I replied as I suddenly got up and quickly made my way for the front door. I didn’t turn back. I couldn’t. I know I was running away again. Why did he have to take my name? I pushed open the door and entered the house.

 ****

Daniel

  Where is it? I was searching through the contents of the glass display cabinet in the living room.

“Daniel, are you looking for something?”

Mandy asked looking curious finding me there.

“Yes. I was actually searching for the old high school yearbook. Just felt like reading it.”

I quickly made up an excuse that immediately came in my mind.

“I bet Jack must have misplaced it. He is so absentminded. He had completely forgotten about the grocery list that I gave him yesterday. Should I help you in finding it?”

Mandy asked coming towards me.

“No, it’s fine. Really, I am sure I can find it myself. It must be in this cabinet because I saw him keeping it here last time.”

I replied declining her help.

“In that case, I am going to the kitchen. Call me if you are unable to find it.”

Mandy told me with a smile before heading towards the kitchen.

  I went back looking for the particular photo album. Finally, I found it behind a stack of other old albums. As I opened it, the pictures of Jack and Mandy’s summer wedding came into my view. I remember flying to Paris for attending it. There was even a picture of me giving the best man’s speech and raising a wedding toast. Then there were the group photographs with family and friends. I remembered it clearly. It was a beautiful day and the wedding ceremony turned out to be just the way they had wished for.

   The reason I was searching for the photo album was because something had been bothering me after what happened today. I had been restless the whole time after returning from the trip.

   There must be some pictures of the time when Jack and Mandy were on a vacation before the wedding. Mandy told me that she first met Ava in Amsterdam. I was hurriedly flipping through the pages.

  My hand was shaking as I took out a picture from the album. Four familiar people were standing together and smiling for the camera.  Jack, Mandy, Ava and…him. Why is he in the picture with her? Didn’t Mandy mention that she also met him in Amsterdam? Why didn’t it occur to me all these times? Does that mean they were together that day?