{11} The Salvatore Brothers' Past

***

***

 Stefan and I were sat at the Mystic Grill at one of their outside tables because Elena had called us over to talk with us about vampirism. Stefan explained that she had found out last night and that my name may or may not have been mentioned. It was obvious to tell it was when Elena had made a group of the three of us and told us to meet her at the Grill "asap". Elena was looking at Stefan as she spoke, "You said you would explain everything. That's why I asked you two to meet me here."

   Elena turned to me as Stefan nodded in an 'I understand' manner. "When you Google 'vampire' you get a world of fiction. What's the reality?" Elena asked bluntly, looking at the two of us. I was dressed in a pair of ripped skinny jeans and a Plain White Tee's white tee with a jean jacket that matched the color of my denim pants.

   "We can tell you whatever you wanna know," Stefan explained, looking at me. He gave me a look that basically said for me to agree with him, so I sent Elena a smile and nodded at what he had said. Elena looked pleased, and I knew that that was all he had wanted. Elena explained that she knew we ate garlic, and Stefan had said yes, but I don't really eat it. Then she said something untrue, that sunlight wasn't an issue. Boy was she wrong. Sunlight is always an issue! Without my little ring... poof! I'm dust and ash. Up in flames. A waitress soon arrived to hand us our drinks. Mmm, caramel cappuccino with extra creamer and sugar.

"That's not true," I said to her, crossing my legs under the table as she gave me an intrigued look. I know all of this must be both scary and fascinating for her, so I understand.

   "Yeah, we have rings that protect us," Stefan explained, holding up his ring as I held up mine. My ring used to be my family crest, but after Stefan showed me what family is supposed to be, he sort of adopted me as his little sister, took me under his wing, I had my ring remade to the Salvatore crest. There have been many debates over who is older because I'm twenty-two but he's also one-hundred and sixty-one at the moment while I'm only eighty-eight. In the end, he made the threat that if I tried to say I was older he'd take me daylight ring for two weeks. I didn't know if he'd actually do that to me, but I didn't want to find out.

"Crucifixes?" Elena asked. Well, those are decorative. They don't really hurt us nor could they. The "power of Christ" or whatever people say these days doesn't compel us. In fact, we just compel others. It's the other way around.

"Decorative," Stefan explained, and I nodded. I had taken a sip of my cappuccino and my eyes widened when I burned my tongue. My tongue began to feel numb and I wanted to groan because I do this all the time.

"Holy water?" Elena continued her questionnaire.

"It's drinkable," Stefan explained.

"Mirrors?" Elena then questioned, causing me to burst out laughing.