{26} Trudie Peterson

***

***

ELENA HAD CALLED me, leaving me a voicemail when I didn't answer. I was in my bed in the afternoon, still in PJs. I was done with supernatural drama for a day, but when I heard her message I felt like I had to be there for her: "Hey, Charlotte... I just called Bonnie. Got her voicemail too. Jenna might have found my birth mother, and I really need someone to come with me to meet this woman named Trudie Peterson, in Grove Hill, Virginia. It isn't far and I was hoping you'd come... Please call me back, I really need you there."

Elena and I have surprisingly bonded, especially out of recent invents. You know, being kidnapped together, finding out our doppelgängers were sort of enemies. It sort of made us want to befriend each other, to sort of keep history from repeating itself. We weren't going to fight over the brothers, mainly because she liked Stefan and I liked neither, but also because we aren't Katherine and Corinthia. We're Charlotte and Elena, two good friends.

I groaned and turned my phone off, standing up and throwing it down on the bed as I changed into my clothes. I wore a white sweater, some ripped blue jeans, and dark brown combat boots. I brushed through my hair and called Elena back, listening to the phone ring until she picked up.

"Hello?" Elena's voice sounded surprised to hear me.

"Hey, I got your message. Pick me up and we can go see this Trudie together?" I asked her, smiling.

"Yeah, okay!" Elena said cheerfully, and I could practically hear the smile in her voice. "I'll see you in a few minutes. I was just about to leave."

***

Elena stood outside beside me, both of us sporting black jackets. She held up a Post-It note with the address we were currently at 312 Boulder Ave. The name was indeed Trudie Peterson. Elena had filled me in on everything in the car. About Stefan visiting her, about Damon's inexcusable behavior. I knew what Damon had been doing, but I ignored it the whole day and didn't even give him and the sorority girls a glance when I walked past to get in the car.

"So, this Trudie may have information on Ric's ex-wife Isobel, who just might turn out to be your birth mother?" I asked her, making sure that I was following.

Elena nodded, "Yes." She sighed and looked up at the house after staring at the note for a while. Elena walked up to the front door of the house, me following behind her. She prepared to knock on the door, but she hesitated a little and turned, looking at the yard instead. Elena was definitely wondering if this was such a good idea. When she turned to me, I gave her a sort of 'Go on' gesture, and she nodded, building up the courage to knock on the blue door with the dark knocker placed there.