{24} Dead Moms Club

***

***

I woke up in a bed, right beside a stirring Elena. Why were we in the bed together? I watched her look over, but I couldn't see what it was because I couldn't see over her. I only started to get worried when her breathing quickened with her pulse, which told me it wasn't good. She sat up at the headboard to the bed, which allowed me to see that a man was sitting in a chair asleep. "Follow me," I whispered softly to her, as we both looked for a way out. My first instinct was the front door, and it seemed it was hers too as she stared at it.

Elena seemed to mentally be estimating our chances of getting out without waking him. I mentally thought our chances are slim to none, but it wouldn't hurt trying. I am a vampire after all. Elena quietly slid off the bed, and I thought 'so much for following me.' Elena stepped over his outstretched leg carefully, taking her time so she didn't touch him or wake him, me doing the same. I mean, at least he didn't try and sleep in the bed with us. We weren't handcuffed. It was the middle of the day. I didn't really find it scary... Until I looked down at my hand and realized that my daylight ring was off. "Elena," I whispered.

"Shh," Elena shushed me, her hands to her lips. I held up my hand, but she didn't seem to realize my hint. My daylight ring was gone. Elena just gave me a confused look, and I mouthed "daylight ring". "What?" Elena mouthed back to me, and I ran a hand through my hair in frustration, just signaling for her to continue. I could find it later. Elena and I looked back and forth between the man and the door, as she unlocked the chain and the deadbolt. Elena turned the other lock when we both jumped at the sound of the man. His voice was admittedly a little attractive— Charlotte! Keep yourself together.

"I wouldn't," Was what the vampire said, chasing both Elena and me to gasp as she spun around and I just turned my head. I watched as Ben inched closer to us, looking Elena in the eyes. This sucker was trying to compel Elena, Ha! He wished. Elena is protected by vampires. We obviously keep vervain on her at all times. If it isn't Stefan making sure, it's me. If it's not me, It's Damon. We all protect Elena. "Don't try to escape. Don't even move. Do you understand?" The vampire compelled. Now, this would be a test of Elena's cleverness.

"I understand." Annnnd, she passed. She passed with flying colors because she had convinced him. The vampire then looked at me, and Elena looked over at me too. "Charlotte isn't leaving either, are you Char?" The vampire looked back at me again, unconvinced.

"I can't leave," I said exasperatedly, but not towards Elena, to the vampire who seemed unconvinced at what she had said. Obviously this vampire wasn't too bright. I held up my hand, "You kind of took my ring. Not to mention, I'm not leaving without Elena, even if I had my ring."

The vampire scoffed and turned around to get a bottle of blood from the mini-fridge, and Elena opened the door and bolted out. I was a little upset that Elena would leave me, but she probably assumed that I could take on this baby vamp on my own. But she didn't think about the sunlight and the absence of my ring. I had to slip to the side of the door but winced when the sun burned a part of my arm. However, I obviously healed within seconds.