{14} The Halloween Disaster

Stefan and I were at the door of the Donovan residence, and Stefan reached out to ring the doorbell for us. I looked over at him and puffed air out of my cheeks. Did Vicki really have to do this? Did Damon really have to let her outside?

    When the doorbell rang, we heard Matt stand from inside and open the door. "Stefan, Charlie, what are you doing here?" Matt asked, mostly in a defensive tone. His stance also seemed defensive, you could tell he wasn't pleased with us being there.

    "Nice to see you too," I sarcastically remarked, rolling my eyes a little. Matt was a very genuine guy, however, with Damon letting Vicki loose and Vicki running away, I was in no mood to play good cop. If anyone decides to be the good cop here, it would be Stefan. I turned to Stefan, who looked from me to Matt.

   "Sorry, she's going through a hard time right now. Is Vicki home?" Stefan asked nicely, but he didn't let a smile appear on his face, as he usually would when he was being fake nice. I scoffed a little at that, causing Stefan to shoot a sharp glare in my direction, as Matt looked at me a little confused. He then glanced back at Stefan and replied that Vicki was indeed inside the house. Good. We've tracked her here at least. "Can we see her, please?" Stefan asked Matt.

   "Don't let them in. I don't want them in here," Vicki called, and Matt seemed to get even more defensive. The little— ooh. I just want to take her by her neck and wring it a few times. I sent Matt a fake smile, but it was obvious it was fake, so Matt looked even more suspicious than he already was with us.

   "Did they do something to you?" Matt called out, obviously taking the role of the protective older brother, even if he's the younger one in the siblingship. That sounds sort of like my relationship with Stefan. I listened for Vicki's response, and when Matt turned to look at her, I flashed my veins and fangs at her, causing her to glare at me.

   "No, I just don't want them in here. Especially Charlotte," Vicki all but sneered, and I felt rage boil inside of me. It took everything I had in me at that moment not to just drain Matt. He's too close of a friend to drain, so I have to restrain myself, especially around Stefan. It would be selfish to do that while Stefan is still drinking animals.

"Just let us come in so we can explain ourselves," Stefan tried to reason with Matt. However, it was obvious he didn't want us there when he told us we should leave. Oh, how nice of him! We were both reluctant to do so, but we turned away in the end and walked off, the door slamming behind us.

"This is your fault, you know," Stefan told me, looking over at me. "You couldn't be nice for one second and now we probably won't see Vicki alive again," he lectured, causing me to groan. "And threatening her with your true face? That was completely uncalled for," Stefan added.

"Stefan, shush. We both know it wasn't me, you just want a good reason as to why we weren't invited in. Stefan, we didn't get in because Matt missed his sister. You forget that we kept him from her for days, and now he's mad at her because he thinks she was off doing stuff she never did," I said, actually sort of sticking up for both myself and Vicki.

***

We arrived at the Halloween party, me being the only one actually in costume. Before we left I had changed into a devil's costume. It was a red tank top with a red tutu, some devil horns, and a devil tail. I opted for red sneakers instead of red pumps since I'd probably be running and walking a lot. Stefan left and I was basically left alone to my own devices. I guess I took that saying quite too literally because I began to play games on my phone. I got a text from Damon: 'Carol Lockwood is so gullible.'

'Don't mess with Mrs. Lockwood, Damon!' I texted him, rolling my eyes. Then I sent another text that most high school girls would completely freak out over the dreaded double texting, ahh the horror! 'Come to the high school. Stefan left me and I am bored out of my mind!'

'Don't worry, little flame. I'm escorting Carol to the school right now. Wink wink.' Of course, Damon would send something like that, no actually, of course, he'd escort an older, married woman to a teenage party. Sometimes I wonder if he feels so old that he's losing his young spark. He'd tell me he wasn't old if I told him that though.

   I finally found Damon, and when I had found him he was talking with Bonnie, who was dressed as a witch. How ironic. I approached them, about to greet the two. But it seemed like they were arguing over something. I caught snippets of words like "mine" and "give it back". However, when I approached, Damon was speaking, "Or I could just take it right now." However, when he tried to grab what they were arguing over — a necklace that I knew he had given to Caroline — it burned his hand. I watched in surprise and shock as Bonnie ran off.

    "Guess she's a little too hot for you, huh Damon?" I joked with a smirk, watching as Damon sent me a look and said something sarcastic about that being sooo funny. I grinned widely, "Yes, I know it was!" He glared at me and I shook my head. Then I watched his eyes travel from my face all the way down to my sneakers, then a low whistle could be heard from his now parted lips. I scoffed, "You disgust me, Damon."

   I watched Damon pick up his phone, "What?" I then heard Stefan's voice. He was speaking softly, but there was obviously urgent undertones to it. I listened in when Stefan said he needed Damon's help. Damon hung up and turned to me, "Guess that we have other places to be, Little Flame. Follow my lead."

    We walked across the school until we found them, us approaching them. Elena was crying, bent over a seemingly dead Vicki. What a shame. Though I never really took a real liking to her, she wasn't a bad person. Elena however, was still alive obviously. And she seemed madder that Damon was here than relieved.

   "You should go. I got this," Damon assured her, and I silently corrected him with 'we'. That is until I heard what he said next, "Charlotte will go with you. She isn't needed for this either." I glared at him, but he only sent me a smirk.

   "You did this. This is your fault," Elena said, venom lacing every word she spoke to him. She stood up, and Damon spoke to her.

   "You confuse me for someone with remorse," Damon replied, but his words seemed to lack any emotion whatsoever. He said it blandly, creepily... Elena tried to push Damon back, but she wasn't strong enough, then she tried to slap him but he shot his own hand out to grab hers and stopped her. I watched as he put pressure on her hand, making her breathing turn shallower by the second until he let go of it. "None of this matters to me. None of it."

   "People die around you. How could it not matter? It matters, and you know it," Elena said angrily, but made sure her voice stayed calm-ish and steady. This time when she held her hand out to slap him, my hand reached out and stopped it, causing her to give me a look of both betrayal — in the smallest form — and confusion. "Why would you protect him?"

    "Because... Enough is enough, Elena. You're tired and overwhelmed. Please. Just let me walk you out," I pleaded, but Elena seemed to not care. That's when Damon decided to speak up. He seemed angry at the fact that she tried to slap him, but also not as angry as he would've been if she actually did slap him.

   "You need to leave. Your wounds are bleeding and you need to leave," Damon said, at first making a small movement towards her, which made her jump. Then he rose his eyebrows in a threatening gesture, making me smile a little. Aw, he looks so cute when he's trying to act deadly. Honestly, I can't see him as "Damon the Killer". It doesn't even sound nice. Elena started to slowly walk away, and when I went to follow her, she only turned, shook her head, and gestured back to Damon. I obeyed and walked back to the Salvatore, smirking a little. I still got my way in the end.

   Damon bent down to inspect the body, and I followed suit. "What're we supposed to do with her?" I asked him softly, turning to look at him. He just shrugged at me. After we disposed of the body, Damon told me to go home and get some rest, and I agreed. So, after everything, I had gone home and went to sleep. I had no idea what I missed while I was asleep.