Chapter 1

"Leah! Hurry up! Carly is here waiting!" my mother called as I shut my laptop and went to fix my hair in the mirror.

"Almost done!" I called back, grabbing my purse off my bed and rushing down the steps. My best friend's car sat in the center of my driveway.

"Finally, I thought you would never come out," she joked, smiling as I slid into the passenger seat.

"Sorry I was looking some stuff up and I lost track of time," I said, mumbling a bit and hoping she wouldn't question me. I should've lied. Dammit, I should've lied.

"What were you looking up?" she chuckled. "Summer just started, I figured you would be sick of research by this point."

I didn't answer, instead I just turned up the radio and commented on how much I loved the song playing. I hadn't even heard it before. I just wanted Carly to stop asking questions before she figured something out. She looked at me suspiciously as I nodded my head to the beat. Hopefully, she'd just drop the subject.

Not a chance.

She turned the radio down and faced me. I avoided her gaze. She kept that suspicious expression on her face, and after a moment of making me squirm she gasped in realization.

"Oh my God! Leah, please tell me you were not searching what I think you were," she accused. I rolled my eyes.

"I know you think it's ridiculous, but I don't. Why is it such a bad thing to be curious?"

"Because it's insane! You are not adopted!" Carly pulled out of my driveway and began driving to the mall.

"Carly, no one in my family is brunette. And they all have brown eyes, mine are blue. I look nothing like them."

"That doesn't mean you're adopted."

"I get asked, like, all the freaking time if I am. I just don't feel like I belong in my family."

"If you're so paranoid about this then why don't you go and ask your parents? I'm telling you, you're Leah Jansen. You're not from some other family.

I rolled my eyes. Of course she couldn't understand. No one did.

Don't get me wrong. Carly and I had been best friends for as long as I could remember, but I had been suspicious of my real family tree for some time now. She didn't believe it. She wouldn't even consider it, and I hated bringing it up to her. She always reacted the same way, like I was some curious soul with a foolish theory.

But it wasn't that foolish. Not really at all. I look nothing like anyone in my family. It simply doesn't add up. It's blatantly clear in my eyes, but not in anyone else's, and it drives me insane so I keep my thoughts to myself.

"Fine. I'll ask them. If they get mad, I'm blaming you."

"Please do," she insisted sarcastically. I just rolled my eyes again, a habit I'd grown used to.

Reaching for the volume button, I turned the radio back up and started singing along obnoxiously loud to some overplayed pop song.

"I swear, you should go on one of those singing competition shows or something," she told me. I smiled and shook my head. It was a suggestion she'd made before. A suggestion I'd heard from more people than just her, but I knew they were all full of shit.

"Thanks, but no."

"Seriously! You're a good singer!" I smiled, rolling my eyes yet again and looking out the window at the scenery.

Where I live isn't much, but it's a cute little place to grow up. I'd always imagined life in a big city or somewhere extraordinary, but I'm stuck with the small town lifestyle for now. In all honesty, I'm perfectly okay with that.

Along with my adoption theory, I often pictured what my life would be like if that were the case. If I truly was adopted and had a whole other family somewhere else. I would be a completely different person most likely. It's just crazy to imagine.

We eventually arrived at the mall and shopped for a few hours before deciding to leave. I didn't buy anything, but Carly's arms were loaded down with bags.

"You're asking them as soon as I drop you off, okay?" Carly said when we were just around the corner from my house. I sighed, dreading the conversation ahead of me.

"Kay," is all I said in response. We pulled up to the small yellow house I call home. I pushed open the door, gathered up my things, and stepped out.

"Ask them!" she reminded me again, earning another eye roll. I shut the door and strolled up to the front door, unlocking it and stepping inside. I watched from the window as Carly drove off.

"Mom?" I called, not seeing anyone around.

"In the office!" she called back. I bit my lip. I probably shouldn't interrupt her work to ask a stupid question like this, I thought. I should just forget about it.

But I had to find out the truth.

I forced myself to walk through the house, stopping when I reached the doorway. I immediately saw my mother sitting at the desk in the middle of the room. A few pieces of her blonde hair fell over her face as her head tilted down to look over some papers. Her reading glasses rested on her nose, and she appeared deep in concentration.

I cleared my throat to get her attention. She looked up and smiled.

"Hey, sweetheart. How was the mall?"

"Fun." She nodded and removed her glasses.

"Is everything okay?" A worried look crossed her face.

"Um, yeah. I just, uh, had a question to ask you." She looked a bit confused but smiled and requested that I continue anyway. "Well, it's going to sound crazy, really actually kind of a dumb question, but, uh...." Wow, why is this so hard? Just say it! "Am I adopted?" My mom's eyes went wide. She obviously wasn't expecting that one.

And I certainly wasn't expecting the answer she was about to give me.

"Well, actually, I really should wait for your father to get home to tell you this, but since you're asking. I think you're old enough to know now. Yes, you are adopted."

My breathing hitched. Did I hear her right? My parents have kept this from me for that long? I'm actually adopted. Oh my God.

AUTHORS NOTE

hello! this is my new story! :) I hope you like it. If you do let me know by dropping a comment, voting, fanning, or doing all 3 :) hahaha I know the chapter is short but now no one knows what will happen :O evil i know. Want more? TELL ME :) oh and btw this is my FIRST FANFIC EVER so dont hate... haha k byee luv yoo!!