Chapter Twenty Two: The break up

Chapter Twenty Two;The break Up

[Harry’s POV]

Today was Monday, the day I had been dreading the entire weekend. I woke up in Zoe’s bed beside her, as she slept silently and peacefully. Her pretty face would no longer show her amazing smile but reveal her tear filled eyes and broken heart. I sighed at my thoughts as she rolled over and looked up at me. “Good morning Baby” she said as if she was still half asleep. I couldn’t help but frown, as I shook my head. “You don’t deserve me” I said as I stood up and headed for the door.

“Uh, Harry?” She said as she sat up and stopped me in my tracks. A look of love and affection spread across her face “If I didn’t deserve you, I wouldn’t be here with you!” She laughed.  I returned a half smile and mumbled under my breath “Little do you know…” and I continued to walk out of the room. I made us both breakfast and we sat together on the lounge watching a movie for most of the morning, it was raining outside and I knew that would only make things worse.  Twelve o’clock came around fast and it was soon time to go out for lunch that we had previously arranged.

“Are you ready to go?” She asked as she shot up off of the lounge and grabbed her bag.

“No” I replied. I honestly wasn’t. I wasn’t ready to get rid of her.

“Okay then, what do you need to do?” She asked sounding confused.

“Never mind, I am ready” I smiled reassuringly and took her hand in mine as we walked out of the front door and into the car. I made Zoe drive her car so that when I broke up with her she would be able to drive back home, and I would catch a taxi. I had to take her to a public place and Paul had told me last night that there would be paparazzi’s waiting, ready to capture the pictures of our breakup. There was no backing out now. Before getting out of the car I kissed her passionately for what I knew could very well be that last time. She stared back into my eyes as if to almost as ‘where the hell did that come from’ and I couldn’t bear to imagine her face full of pain in a few short minutes. “Zoe…” I began as she continued to keep her beautiful stare, her eyes locked onto mine. “Promise me one thing?” I asked her innocently.

“Anything!” She whispered back to me.

“Promise me that, no matter what I ask you at lunch, you will respond with a yes… just promise me!” I said trying to cover the hurt in my voice.

“Yes, okay? Does this have a meaning?” She asked sounding confused.

“No, just… lets go” I said as we both got out of the car to find at least a dozen paparazzi’s standing around taking photos of us. We went and sat down at a small table in the middle of the outdoors café.  We sat there for a while talking, but I didn’t really pay attention. Time flew by and I knew I had to break the news soon. A waitress came over towards us and asked for our orders.

“No, we won’t be ordering today thank you.” I said flashing a smiled in the lady’s direction.

“Um Harry? May I remind you… we are here for lunch” Zoe said but before she could finish what she was going to say I interrupted her.

“Actually Zoe, we’re here today because I need to tell you something” I said attempting to keep the expression on my face neutral.  She nodded her head curiously as if for me to continue.

“We’re here today because…” I paused, I couldn’t say the words. I looked at her face that had a confused expression spread across it as I let a frown slip across mine.

“Because I’m breaking up with you…” I finished the words I couldn’t say and almost instantly the colour was drained from her face. She sat before me silently, not saying a word. A look of horror shot across her face, and I had to use all my strength to restrain myself and hold myself back from letting her fall into my arms and comforting her. I wanted to be able to tell her that everything would be okay, and most of all I wanted to be able to tell her the truth; the real reason why I was breaking it off with her, but things just weren’t that simple. She quickly found her voice again and her hands shook while her lips trembled as she spoke her words “Harry, who? What? Why!?” She blurted out as if she had absolutely no control over what she was saying.  A silent tear slid down her face and this was something I hoped wouldn’t happen. This made things just that little bit harder for me. I tried to avoid eye contact with her as much as possible, to disguise my true feelings.

“I’m not in love with you anymore, I don’t want to lead you on, when there are no feelings on my behalf, that’s why this has to end. Here and now.” I lied trying to make my words sound convincing.

“This is what you want right?” I asked softly, hoping she’d remember what I’d told her in the car. There were paparazzi’s snapping photos in every direction and they were all close enough to hear our conversation. “Is this what you want?” I said louder now, almost in a soft shouting voice.

She starred deep into my eyes almost as if she was trying to find some sort of an answer. She shook her head slightly and then whispered a soft ‘yes’ as quite a loud number of tears were now streaming down her face.

“Good.” I said as I gave her one last hug, holding her closer and tighter than any time I had ever held her before. “Drive home safely.” I then whispered into her ear before walking off down the road to attempting to avoid the paparazzi’s and get a cab home. That was by far the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do, and finally the realization kicked in that she was no longer mine. I sighed as my eyes filled up with tears, but I refused to let them fall down onto my soft pink cheeks. I got into a taxi and shortly I was on my way home. I rested my head against the window and closed my eyes picturing all of the memories I’d shared with her over the past year. I let out a sigh, all I could see in my head was picture perfect memories scattered all around the floor.  And it was then that I knew just how hard it was going to be getting through the night alone.