Chapter Thirteen: Heading Home

[Zoe’s POV]

The next morning I woke up tangled between Harry and the bed sheet. His arms securely wrapped around me and my head resting on his chest. I tried to break out of his strong hold to get up and get ready for the airport, today was the day I went home.  As I managed to sit up I saw his eyes flicker open “…no!” He whispered. I laughed,

“I have to Harry” I said sulking. I could feel his eyes watching me as I slipped out of bed and into the bathroom. I had a quick shower and got changed into some comfortable clothes for the long plane ride ahead. I came out to find Harry already changed and sitting on the end of the bed waiting for me with my suitcase.

“Are you sure you packed everything?” He asked.

“Yeah, if not you can bring it home for me” I said smiling as I walked up to him and leaned down to kiss his lips. He turned his head to face the ground and ran his hands through his hair, I sighed.

“I’m sorry” I said feeling bad that I was putting him through this; I knew how it felt to be left behind.

“If it’s too hard for you I can get one of the boys to take me” I said making an offer that I didn’t really want to make, attempting to find a way to make Harry happy. But as soon as I finished he shot up off of the bed and took my hand in his. “No, why would I want that? Let’s go.” He said leading me out of the door. We made a quick stop into the other boy’s rooms so I could say my goodbyes, and not to my surprise I found Tilly there.  I gave each one of them a hug goodbye and as I went to hug Tilly she said “Do you mind If I come to the airport with you, it’s just I think Harry might want some company on the way home, and I could drive if he’s too upset?” I glanced over at Harry who had his head facing the ground again. His piercing blue-green eyes looked up and into mine; they revealed a world of hurt and disappointment. “I don’t need company, all I need is her” I heard him mumble.

“Ah, sure… that’s really nice of you.” He replied to Tilly who returned a smile. I frowned over at Harry who caught me looking at him. I quickly focused back on the goodbyes and said my last farewells to everyone and then Harry and I exited the hotel hand in hand followed by Tilly. She’d offered to drive and Harry agreed so he could sit in the back with me. He had his arm wrapped around my waist and I rested my head on his shoulder hiding my face in his chest. We sat together for the one hour trip to the airport, which didn’t feel very long at all. When we arrived I felt Harry grasp me tighter. I looked up at him as if to say ‘I have to go’ and there was nothing he could do about it. He sighed and let go of me as we both got out of the car. He grabbed my suitcase out of the boot for me and insisted that he carry it, such a gentlemen. There were a few paparazzi, but it’s not like we didn’t expect them... I went through customs and then went into the waiting area, to wait for my plane to arrive. Harry sat next to me and held my hand tightly in his. Not saying a word, we sat in silence until we heard a woman over the airport speaker. ‘Flight number 438 to the United Kingdom is now boarding, please make your way to the terminal, hand in your ticket and begin to board your plane. Stay safe and have a good flight! Thank-you.’ Instantly Harry looked up at me with his eyes pleading me not to go, but he knew I had to. We both stood up simultaneously, and he pulled me into a hug. Right then and there I just wanted to run. To get away from all of this and to avoid the tears and heart ache. Saying goodbye for the second time was always going to be the hardest and as much as I tried to fight it I couldn’t win. I let a tear slide down my cheek which Harry wiped away. He took off his favourite arm bracelet that he wore everywhere and slid it onto my wrist. He chuckled “It suits you.” I couldn’t help but smile even though I was sad about leaving.

“I have to go” I said quietly as I started to turn around and pick up my suitcase.

“…wait” Harry whispered as he gently grabbed my wrist and turned me around to face him. Almost instantly his lips crashed over mine as he kissed me one last time. Silence filled the area around us as we both stood there taking in what had just happened. Harry was still holding onto my wrist as I slowly opened my eyes to find his already open.

“…I can let you go now” He said in a soft voice and his eyes dropped to look at the ground. I lifted up his chin “I’ll see you soon” I said forcing a smile trying to reassure him. I picked up my suitcase and walked off heading in the direction of the terminal. I handed my ticket to the lady and turned around one last time to see Harry still waiting there staring at me from the distance. I smiled and waved and then made my way down the tunnel. That would be the last time I saw him for another week.

[Harry’s POV]

And just like that she was gone.  I felt my emotions collapse inside of me. I knew I was strong enough to hold it together in front of her but as I walked away to find Tilly, I saw tear drops fall to the ground in front of me. Maybe it was a good idea for her to drive, I mean my eye sight was blurry and I would probably crash the car and kill us both. Although that did seem like a good idea at the time… I just wish there wasn’t such a distance between us both. I shook my head trying to re-gather my thoughts, and compose myself for the long car ride back to the hotel. I made my way out of the airport to find Tilly waiting for me. An expression of shock crossed her face as she saw my tear filled eyes and I knew exactly what she was thinking; ‘I never knew he loved her that much!’ But it was true; I didn’t just love her… I was IN love with her, something she would probably never understand, so I figured if she did ask, I wouldn’t bother to explain.

[Tilly’s POV]

As I looked up from my phone I saw a teary eyed Harry coming walking towards me. It shocked me. I knew he would be upset but I didn’t think he would be this upset. I mean, they were only going to be apart for a week, but I guess it was a big deal to them, especially since they live together and everything, it must be a lot harder. I didn’t know what to do or say, because I didn’t even know how Harry was feeling, whether he was just upset, angry or annoyed and in that case I didn’t want to bother him.

“Everything okay Haz?” I asked not trying to intrude. But Instead of an answer he just shook his head and kept walking. Well obviously I knew he wasn’t okay, otherwise he wouldn’t be crying, but what else are you meant to say to someone who looks absolutely devastated. He opened the door to the passenger’s seat and got into the car. We drove off in silence as he sat there and let tears fall from his cheeks. I knew he didn’t want to talk, but I knew that if Zoe were here right now she would do anything to make him feel better, so I thought I should give it a go for her.

“Ah Harry…” I said trying to start off a conversation but I still got no response. “So how’s the tour going? Is it good? Are you having fun? Is there lots of ‘crazy’ fans every night or are they more on the calmer side?-“But I was interrupted by Harry,

“I don’t want to talk about that.” He hissed back at me. Shit, I thought to myself. Not a good conversation to get onto when he was on tour and his girlfriend had just left him. I sighed not trying to please anyone anymore and started to act my normal self.

“Mate, you look terrible.” I said handing him a tissue that I found in the front compartment of the car. He took it thankfully and in appreciation gave me a half smile.

“I know that you know that I don’t know a thing about your relationship with Zoe. But I do know one thing for sure; she would want you to be happy right now. You’re on tour; you’re supposed to be having fun. Not crawled up in a ball sobbing your eyes out. If anything, just do it for her. I know you don’t want to talk to me either, but I’m trying to tell you how it is, not stick my nose into your business okay!? ” I said hoping that this would somehow work. The car filled with silence for a few minutes and I started to question myself on whether or not I should have said what I had just said. But Harry’s low husky voice broke the silence “Thanks, I really needed to hear that. I’m glad that you’re looking out for me.” Wiping away his final tears he sat up in his chair and smiled at me. YES!! I thought to myself. It had worked.