Chapter 40

“Surprise!” Chad shouted as he lifted the cover of the metal tray. On it was a slice of blueberry pie.

Claire stared at it for a few seconds before she looked up at Chad. “Thanks.”

He noticed her flat tone. “What’s up? You don’t like it? I think we have some leftover macaroons if you’d prefer that instead.”

“No. I’ll eat this. Thanks.” She said before accepting the tray from her friend’s hands. Chad stared at Claire with curious eyes as he watched her fork a piece into her mouth. “Why’re you so happy anyway?” she asked to distract him.

Easily, he lost interest in her mood. “What do you think about a coffee shop?”

Claire took another bite of the pie as she raised a confused brow. “What about them?”

“Do you like them?”

“Sure.”

Chad nodded in agreement. “Right? Who wouldn’t?”

She waited for him to continue, but it looked like he suddenly got lost in thought. So she asked, “Why’re you suddenly asking about coffee shops?”

He grinned at her. “I’m thinking of opening one.”

Claire blinked in shock. “You’re leaving Bishop Lodgings?”

“Oh? That’s the first thing you think about?” he smirked. “You’re going to miss me, aren’t you?”

“Finally! I was getting sick of seeing your face every day.” Chad looked offended and Claire snickered to herself before reassuring him, “I’m just kidding. So when do you plan on leaving?”

“You really do want to get rid of me, don’t you?” he muttered to himself before replying. “And I’m not sure. I’m still looking for a place and then I have to think about the renovations and all that other complicated stuff.”

“So that means you’re not leaving in a matter of months?”

“Don’t worry. I’ll make sure to give the boss a letter of resignation when I eventually have everything sorted out. Then you can start preparing the farewell party.” He said sarcastically, making her chuckle.

“Why a coffee shop though? Shouldn’t you put your skills to more use?” After all, Chad was a chef, not a barista.

He grinned and stretched his arms over his head. “I think it’s time I settled down.”

Claire gave him look of incredulity. “You’re twenty-six.”

“I’ve found the woman of my dreams, what’d you expect?” Chad was still grinning like an idiot. Probably because he was and had been thinking about Elli. The idiot was so love struck, it was sickening.