Chapter 24

Claire nearly gawked. “How did you find out about that?” Then she paused and glanced around cautiously. “Are you spying on me?”

“No I’m not spying on you.”

“Then how do you know about the situation?”

“Someone told me.” Heath quickly added, “Does it matter? Now, are you going to answer my question?”

She sealed her lips and wondered if it had been the employees who were there to see Jane who had told Heath. But after thinking about it for a bit, Claire concluded that it couldn’t have been them. Besides, they weren’t comfortable enough with Heath to actually call him just to report the situation.

But if it wasn’t the employees who had told him…who had?

“Claire.” He called her name and she snapped out of her thoughts.

“Yes.” She answered. “I agreed to meet with Aiden.”

“What?” Heath was perplexed. “Why?”

Claire was curious as to what his facial expression was. “Because he wanted to clear things up. Apologize.”

There was a long, dramatic pause before Heath replied flatly, “And you believe that?”

“Of course not.” Claire could already guess what his next question would be, so she went ahead and answered first. “But I agreed to see what he really wanted. Jane told me that Aiden had changed, but I’m not stupid enough to believe that.”

“You’re stupid enough to agree to meet them!” Heath shouted and she cringed from how loud he was. “I haven’t used that word in years, Claire, but that’s exactly what you are right at this moment. Stupid!”

Claire found herself chuckling—finding the word funny coming from Heath’s mouth—but she made sure Heath didn’t hear. If he did, who knew what else he’d call her?

“There’s nothing you can gain from accepting their invitation, Claire. They might do something to you while I’m not there.”

“Jane told me they wanted to meet up in a restaurant. I doubt they’d try something with so many people around.”

“What restaurant?”

Claire didn’t find the need to hide any information from Heath, so she told him. Heath muttered the restaurant’s name under his breath before she said, “You know, I would’ve eventually told you everything.” It became silent on the other line. “You became involved in my relationship with Aiden, and I just thought it was right for you to know.”

“And when exactly would you have told me?” he asked with a low tone. It sounded as if he was grumbling.

“The next time you called me.” Claire raised an eyebrow. “And see? I told you.”