Chapter 21

“Thank you for coming.” Heath said as he allowed Kane to enter his suite.

“No problem.” He answered.

The two of them settled down first before they got straight to business. After all, that was exactly why Heath had called Kane over to Bishop Lodgings in the first place. They were acquainted with each other, but they weren’t friends. Their relationship was more like business partners—or business tip-offs.

“I’m already sure that my proposition will be approved…” Heath said after he explained his plan to open a Bishop Lodgings branch. “…but since you already have a business down there, I was hoping that you would speed up the process.”

Kane flipped through the papers of Heath’s plan. “Anxious to leave?”

“I just want to get it done.” Heath explained as he patiently waited for Kane to finish looking over the plan.

But after a few seconds, he spoke up. “You didn’t tell Claire.” From the mention of her name, Heath stiffened, but he didn’t reply. Kane stopped his overview and looked into Heath’s eyes. “Aren’t you two in a relationship? Why haven’t you told her yet?”

Heath remained calm. “I’m assuming you’re asking out of worry for Claire and not for your own selfish reasons.” When Kane didn’t reply in a smart remark as he usually would, Heath knew he was being serious and gave him a truthful response. “The relationship that Claire and I are in right now isn’t a normal relationship. We’re not official.”

Kane opened his mouth to reply to that, but Heath quickly intercepted and added, “But I was planning on telling her today. After all, if you’re successful in speeding up the process like I wanted, that means the soonest I can leave to overlook the project would be a week from now.”

“Do you even understand what you’re saying?” Kane asked with frustration. “You’re leaving Claire. Even if your relationship isn’t to the great extent of being official, you’re still in some sort of relationship. That requires communication.”

Heath raised an eyebrow. “Is Kane Jones really trying to school me in relationship building? The same Kane Jones who has been chasing the same woman since his pre-teens, and yet has never caught her?” Then he added the finishing blow with, “Does she even remember you after all these years?”

Kane nearly growled from the attack that was far too close to home. “Watch it, Bishop. I’m just trying to clear the dust from your eyes.” Heath sighed as he leaned back on his chair before crossing his legs. “Knowing Claire, she’s not going to take the situation well. Especially since Tori has most likely already told her what’s going on. To hear that sort of information second-hand…” Kane didn’t have to finish to prove his point.

“I don’t believe it’s something that serious.” Heath said, looking into the skeptic eyes of Kane. “Yes, I’m leaving, but you’re all acting as if it’s permanent. I’m just going to make sure the project starts well. The most I’ll be there for is a month, and then I’m coming back.”

“Oh, really?” Kane asked with a suspiciously raised eyebrow. “From what I heard, you had planned to permanently stay there. When did you change your mind?”