Chapter 10

Heath stood at the entrance of Bishop Lodgings. It was Sunday night, almost eight thirty in the evening. Claire had called him to say that she would soon be there for the two of them to go to Layton Gardens together.

Truthfully, he was anticipating the sight of Claire when she was dressed up and ready for the party. He had no doubt in his mind that she would be beautiful, but he didn’t know what to expect of her.

He did his best not to think up images of her in various clothes. It would make him seem obsessed.

As Heath continued to wait, he received a text from his brother.

You at the party yet?

Heath didn’t bother to text back. Instead, he immediately called his brother.

“You know, when I text you, it usually means I want a text back, not a phone call.” Declan’s familiar voice answered on the other end.

“How do you know about the party?”

His brother chuckled. “I’m back in the States. What? Did you think I couldn’t handle the situation in England?”

“I had no doubt in my mind that you would be able to successfully come out unscathed. What I didn’t expect was for you to do it so quickly.” Heath watched as a car pulled up, but it wasn’t Claire so he continued to leisurely speak to Declan.

“Thank you for having faith in me.” He replied flatly. “Now, are you going to answer my question?”

“No, I’m not at the party yet. I’m still waiting for my…” Heath struggled to find the right word.

“It’s called a date, Heath. A date. Something you haven’t had in a while.”

He shouldn’t have, but Heath became immediately defensive. “How would you know that?”

“I’m your big brother. I know when the last time you got laid, which if I had to be honest, was a long time ago.” Heath didn’t know whether to laugh from Declan’s frankness or feel as if his privacy had been violated.