Chapter 22

Barely a week had passed, but it was time for Heath to leave. Claire had mentally and emotionally prepared herself for the moment, but it came too quickly. Of course, they spent their usual hour together every day—and more. But all those times were met during their work hours.

Unfortunately, Claire and Heath never found the free time to spend together outside of work since their schedules were either too busy or conflicted with each other’s. News that Heath was leaving spread throughout the hotel and soon, everyone new that their newly-appointed boss was now going to leave on a one-month business trip.

Most of the employees had gotten used to Heath so they were sad that he was leaving so quickly after his arrival. Claire was one of them, though she made sure to never allow others to see too easily.

Heath said he was coming back, but the atmosphere felt as if he wasn’t. He reassured Claire plenty of times, but she still felt as if something big was going to happen—something unpredictable.

It was late at night, so most of the guests were in bed, while those who were up usually didn’t need staff assistance. The employees of Bishop Lodgings had planned a little party for Heath’s leaving. Claire had nothing to do with the planning, but her approval was needed so she wasn’t surprised when she led Heath into a party room where most of the staff who could make it were standing around.

They greeted Heath and he stood there in shock for a split second before a warm smile spread across his face. Immediately, the party started. The staff made sure that Claire emphasized to Heath that it wasn’t anything formal or grand, meaning he didn’t have to do a big speech about his arrival and departure.

But he still said one.

“Thank you all for the time we’ve spent together. Though I’ve only been here a few weeks, I felt welcomed and hoped that I would get to know each and every one of you personally. Just as your general manager.” He looked towards Claire and smiled, to which she smiled back before he continued. “Of course, this isn’t goodbye. I’ll be back in a month’s time. I’m expecting you all to behave while I’m gone.” He teased and that earned a few chuckles from the employees.

Then he said his last few appreciations before he allowed the party to go on as usual. Claire stayed in the background as the employees personally went up to Heath to say their farewells and hope for the best on the new Bishop Lodgings project.

“Nice party.” Elli blandly said as she sipped some punch. “Could be better though.”

Claire laughed. “I should invite you to some of the more formal parties. You’d go crazy with how fun they are.”

Chad still hadn’t gotten a call from his girlfriend, so he wasn’t yet able to break it off. That information irritated Claire to end, making her want to tell Elli everything. But that wasn’t her place to tell.

Even after all the talking she had with Eleanor, she still wasn’t willing to speak to Chad. Elli’s explanation was that she wasn’t yet prepared to speak with Chad for whatever topic he wanted to discuss. She needed more time to prepare herself.

Oh, how she would be surprised.

Of course, Claire and Elli’s friendship hadn’t been affected by her and Chad’s lack of contact at the least, but that just meant there wouldn’t be a time when all three of them were together in one place for a while more.