Chapter 36

It was usually the time when Claire was in her office, so Logan knew without a doubt that she would be there. With Heath trailing behind him, the two of them made their way to the general manager’s office to get Ava back.

Before they even reached the door though, Logan heard his wife’s shouting voice.

“-ther men! And you! I considered you a close friend of Heath’s! How could you betray him?”

Logan opened the door and saw that Ava was standing in front of the general manager’s desk. Claire was sitting in her seat, but there was another person in there with them.

Kane Jones. He was sitting on the edge of the desk, awfully close to Claire. He had his legs casually crossed as he stared at Ava with an unreadable look on his face. Logan liked Kane, mostly because the boy was similar to him. But like the face he was wearing at the moment, Logan couldn’t really see all of him. No one really could.

“Ava.” Logan said and his wife glared over her shoulder at him. He could read it in her eyes that she completely blamed him for all that had happened. Though she wasn’t wrong, it was better this way. At least now they knew about Claire’s true feelings. “Let’s go. Heath needs to check back into the hospital as soon as possible.”

He also glanced at his son and saw that he was staring at Kane with surprise. It seemed Heath didn’t know that Kane Jones was here either.

“I’m not leaving until I get an explanation out of Claire.” Ava said in a low voice. “I need an explanation.”

“Mom.” Heath sighed heavily. “Just leave her alone.”

Claire leaned her chin on the palm of her hand. “I’m sorry, Ava. But it’s best to listen to Heath.”

Ava turned back to Claire. “Please, Claire. Just tell me why. I thought you were happy with Heath.”

“I was.” Claire answered before she sighed as her eyes became hooded. “But Heath’s not the one for me. Besides, we entered our relationship knowing it was going to end eventually. What we had between us was just…a little fun. Something for a short time period.”

Logan saw Kane look down at Claire with a slight smirk on his lips—an arrogant smirk.

“What is Kane doing here?” Logan asked, not able to hold it in any longer.

Claire looked into Logan’s eyes and he felt as if time slowed down as she stared into him. Her eyes were…cold, impassive. Then she blinked, and the time-trance was over.

“He’s just visiting.”

“Does he usually visit often?”

She looked up at Kane and he shrugged one shoulder before he answered. “I do when I can.”

Logan felt his lips twitch into a sneer, but he fixed them quickly before someone noticed. “Why? You don’t have any business here in Bishop Lodgings.”