Chapter 3

When Claire finished all of her inspections, she went back to her office and looked at the paperwork. She tended to stay ahead and finish it all as quickly, but also efficiently, as possible so that she could have free time.

The pile was very small and she went through almost all of it quickly before she leaned back against her chair, slipping off her heels. She was going to relax for a bit more before she finished off the rest and was free until more work arrived.

But of course, that never happened.

The phone on her desk rang and the caller ID showed that it was from inside the building. And specifically from the daycare room.

Claire swiped it up and put it against her ear. “What?” she said stiffly.

“Baby AA.” Elli held back laughter from the other line. “His older sister was teasing him again. And he won’t stop crying until he sees you.”

“Yeah, fine.” she said and hung up before standing. Claire slipped her feet back into her heels before walking out of her office.

To come face to face with Heath Bishop.

She had come rushing out and almost crashed into his chest, but luckily stopped herself just in time. Her face probably looked startled but she schooled it into cool features. “May I help you Mr. Bishop?”

He stared down at her for a split second before speaking. “I finished looking around. Excluding the top floor. That will wait until later. But I was thinking about talking to you and learning about your responsibilities in the hotel as the general manager.”

Claire resisted giving him a weird look. “I’m sure you should already know my duties from the files your father gave you.”

“I didn’t find a need for the files.” He simply said and didn’t add more.

Again, she resisted making any rude gestures, like raising an eyebrow in an “oh, really?” look. Instead, she just cleared her throat and took a step back as she opened her door. “Please, come in. We’ll have the talk you wanted.”

Heath stepped inside and Claire contemplated whether or not to tell him to excuse her for a few minutes while she went to calm down her nephew. But this was her new boss. Her new boss who could fire her at any time when he wanted to with no real specific reason.

After hesitating for a few seconds, Claire stepped inside her small office and shut the door tight. Her nephew could wait. And she was sure a cracker and apology from his older sister would shut him up.

Claire walked around her desk and sat in her chair. “Are you sure you wouldn’t want to talk in your office?” she asked.

He shook his head as he looked around the room. It wasn’t big, but it wasn’t small either. This was where Claire usually did any paperwork needed to be done and other paper businesses. But usually, she was out and about, tending to guests and helping employees.

From their current positions, it would seem like Claire was the boss and Heath was the one below her, but it didn’t work that way with the man. He held his head high and sat with a straight spine. His hands were linked together and lying on his lap. A powerful aura practically covered him from head to toe.

After he finished looking around, he looked straight into Claire’s eyes, not shy at all about eye contact. But she stared right back, used to it from his father, Logan.

“Well…” Claire said, leaning her forearms against the desk. “For starters, my name is Claire Sparks, the general manager of Bishop Lodgings, as you already know. I’m twenty-five years old and have a bachelor’s in hotel management. I’ve been working in Bishop Lodgings ever since I was eighteen and your father, Logan, promoted me to the general manager as soon as I got my bachelor’s degree at a university.”