Chapter 9: Trying to Reason With Hurricane Season

Chapter 9

Avery's P.O.V.

This feels awkward.

Very strange and very out of place. Unusual, per say.

I glanced wearily at both fruits, a red apple and a slightly redder apple stared back at me. The darker colored apple is priced at least 78 cents more. I furrowed an eyebrow and dumbly stared at the other and I dropped my shoulders in defeat. How is it so suddenly hard to decide on apples? Finally coming to a reasonable conclusion, I shoved both apples into a bag and dropped the bagged apples into my grocery cart. I pushed my cart forward and glanced at all the bread neatly stacked by the baked breads and snacks.

Running a nervous hand through my hair and averting my eyes to other food items and that proved to be more worse.

Ugh! How did my mom do this?

I totally over estimated the struggle of grocery shopping. After much debate, I decided that I'm randomly going to grab anything in my sight and, I did. But coming upon a certain aisle and a particular food, nearly brought tears to my eyes.

Chocolate chip cookies, Chips Ahoy! is that particular food. I can't ever eat those cookies and as dumb as it sounds, I simply can't. Those were my parents favorite pair of snacks to munch on and in front of the TV and enjoying each others company. I reached out and grasped the packaged cookies and stared longingly at the bright blue plastic.

"Avery Iacano?" a slightly familiar voice called out.

I placed the packaged cookies back onto the shelf and stared at the person who called my name, "Mrs. Luka?" I asked, surprised.

She nodded her head and strolled closely toward me, "it's been awhile since I've last seen you!" she says excitedly as she got closer.

"Mom! Where are you?" I heard Summer called out as she turned a corner and appeared beside her mom, all while her eyes are glued to her cell.

"Summer Luka! Get off that damn phone and greet Avery Iacano!" Mrs. Luka demanded and slapped Summer's hands down.

Summer stared at me in shock, "I thought you'd be home?" Summer asked.

"I'm not," I stated.

"So, Avery," Mrs. Luka says and clasps her hands together, "how have you been?"

I frowned slightly and dropped my eyes to the floor, "fine," I uttered gently.

"Oh, honey!" Summer's mom cries and steps forward with her arms spread open.

I looked up and wedged my lower lip between my teeth. Mrs. Luka wrapped her arms around my shoulders and squeezed me softly before letting go. I then caught sight of Summer's eyes and her eyes started to get this look. This look ranged between sympathy and a lingering hint of sadness. Her light eyes blazed brightly as she held my gaze.

"Summer," her mom called out, seeming to notice the change in the atmosphere, "why don't you help Avery with her grocery shopping," she suggested and moved away before Summer could reply.

"M-m-mom!" she stuttered as her mom's figure turned a corner.

I smiled at her, "I don't have cooties," I joked and my smile widen when Summer glared at me.

Summer's glare slowly turned to shock as she continued to stare blankly at me.

"What?" I said self consciously and my lips turned downwards.

"You smiled," she gasped.

I reached forward, intending on touching her arm, but she flinched. A blush appearing on her cheeks and she swung her eyes away and I started to feel cold.